Clam lighting question

Discussion in 'Clams' started by nightster, Jan 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Was thinking of getting either a derasa or squammy when I am finished with my move from my 29g to my 65g. One question I have is about my lighting. My fixture is a 36" wavepoint t5ho, my aquarium depth is 22", while my sand will take it down to maybe 19"-20" will I have enough penetration at that depth for either of those clams? If I don't have the penetration it needs, what are some problems id run into trying to situate it on my live rock?

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

it hard to say about your lighting..the best thing to do would be borrowing a par meter and test it and then go from there..or you could maybe make you sandbed have different depths so some places will be higher..im kinda against putting clams on rocks, only because i have heard so many stories of people having a clam for so long and then one day it just lets go, with perfect water and lighting..then it dies or kills whatever it lands on..

but i guess its would be different if you started the clam on the sandbed and it crawled up somewhere it wants to be, then i dont think it would wanna let go once it found its perfect spot..

4. nightster

I don't really want to keep one on my live rock either, so I guess I may be sol. I thought about building a "ramp" up to the top of a peice of lr with sand and starting with a small clam at the base of the "ramp", but idk how well the sand would stay there.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

what would be so bad about having it on the live rock, it would be an ideal spot for not having metal halides.

6. nightster

The fact that it may fall off of where its at, that would possibly result in one or more death.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You should have enough light with the fixture.

Derasa and the squamosa will do better in the sandbed IMO, I would not even attempt to put them in the rockwork. They are not rock boring clams and some times will not foot to anything as they get larger.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Lighting is sufficient for sand living clams. Your clam will be just fine.

10. nightster

Awesome thanks corailline / 2 in 10. I was hoping I could put one on the sand in my 65g.