clam in nano?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by 1.0reef, Mar 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Well a growing maxima would be MUCH harder
    You seem pretty detrmined though so if you fed it daily ypud be fine...

Just wondering, do you have a skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

flame scallops dont need intense light they just need feedings, they are way easier than a clam but i think clowns are prettier so if your up to keep a clam go ahead, if you dont think your ready a flame scallop is the next best thing

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

In the long run, flame scalops are much more difficult than a clam. There is not typically enough food to sustain them in our systems. In a 6g, adding that much plankton would nuke the system fast.

Either a clam or scallop would be absolutely ridiculous in a 6g...

1 person likes this.
  5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I agree with m2434 on the scallop part... it is very difficult for a flame scollop to live in any system let alone a 6 gallon one! You would need daily if not more feedings of plankton to keep it alive. But if you really think about flame scollops really are not that great because I hear all they do most of the time is hide in the rockwork. I think if you are really determined to get a clam you can... the lights are good enough.... But... yes another but... you will have to be sure to put in a lot of calcium in your tank.

6. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Dosing Calcium by itself won't work. Alkalinity is also used up. Hence the need for 2 part or Kalk. With such a small tank the Alkalinity would drop quickly.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Is this tank a nano cube with PC lighting and a hood?

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

yeah why?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Because they have 6 gallon Fluval nanos and couple other brands that make 6 gallon nanos.

My thoughts on a 6 gallon nano are that after water and sand you do not have 6 gallons, and actually getting closer to a pico system. The ideal inhabitants for the 6 gallon are inverts and soft corals, the only fish appropriate are the clown gobies and some other small gobies IMO.

The nano cube at least comes with a lid, which aids in diminishing evaporation swings seen with open top nanos. The power compact lighting is suffiicent to keep a small Derasa clam, which will out grow the tank eventually.

Routine water changes are important to replenish the trace elements, ca and maintain the alk and remove the DOC.

The nano cube would make a great tank for mushrooms, zoanthids, cool shrimp, lps like duncans and euphyllias but not fish.

I have had this tank, well just about every size tank Nano cube makes, great tanks, but they do require daily visual checks and routine water changes at least twice monthly.

JM2C

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i stand corrected, i did not take that into consideration my apologies

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

the book i'm reading said that clams with less bright colors need less light (gigas, sqausma, etc.)