Clam in fish only

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Dingo, Jul 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

My dad has two clams (about 7" and 6") but he is moving his tank to softies and fish only because he is tired of keeping up with calcium and alkalinity.
    Will the clams survive without proper Ca and alk levels or will they die without being able to grow?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If that's the only animal in the tank that undergoes calcification, then you would have to go a long time in-between waterchanges before there wasn't enough Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium and Alkalinity for it to continue to grow. (I'm assuming that the light is the same that it has grown under previously). Remember that Ca, Mg, and Sr are all interchangeable. Maybe every month or so, doublecheck the alk if you haven't done a waterchange.

1 person likes this.
  4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I believe the clams will use available calcium and alk to build it's shell... what will happen is the calcium and alk will deplete over time... I don't think you'd want it to deplete to the point that it stops the clam from growing, because that would be bad for all the tanks inhabitants.

5. gabbagabbawill

inwall, can you clarify what you mean by interchangeable here?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You're used to hearing the words Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) when referring to a coral skeleton (clam shell). However, that's inaccurate. There's also Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) and Strontium Carbonate (SrCO3). Coral skeletons(clam shells) are not only Calcium-based.

7. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

The ions act the same whn used by the clam/coral. They have the same 2+ charge and the animal is able to use all of them because they all react in the mechanistic pathway the animal uses to deposit it. So you will want to keep all of those high so it can use them all.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah. Calcium carbonate. is just commonly referred to. I think carbonate has a -2 charge so any ion that can sustain a 2+ charge will balance the molecule out. Ca, Mg, and Sr are capable

10. gabbagabbawill

OK, that's what I thought you meant...

11. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

If you are going to have clams in a SW tank it's not a fish only...it's still a reef with very few inverts, LOL! The demand will be lower with so keeping up with Ca, ALK, Mg will be easier, but you would still need to treat the tank as a "reef" in terms of basic params, lighting, etc IMO.

1 person likes this.
  12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

If you're going fish only, clams will limit the choice of fish though.