Clam foot

Discussion in 'Clams' started by ermano, Apr 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

that sounds pretty practical!! I came home today to see it on the sand again...I think I'm going to just let it attach to the "disc" while on the sand...and then move it to a more suitable location.

2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I had my clam attach to a snail shell. You dont have any little rubble in the tank/fug that you can steal? Either way you sound like you have it handled. Good luck

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

My clam decided to attach itself to the eggcrate. I'll get one of my flat LR pieces in my fuge to see if I can entice him to move onto that.

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

How do you entice a clam? haha good luck Mike!!

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Well I put a 3" piece of rock next to it and it released its byssal threads. I moved it over to the rock. This morning it looked like it buried it's byssal gland into one of the cracks of the rock. :)

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

My T. Crocea clam only took about 2 days to attach itself to the rock. It then bored into the rock a little, have had it for 9 months and still seems happy, it has grown about an inch.

8. Click Here!

9. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

so i attempted to put it on aforesaid epoxy disc (about the size of a quarter)...went to see if it took to the disc today and he missed it by half an inch about and was attached to the glass at the bottom. So i tried slowly to get it off the glass and he slid off and there were a few visible threads with a clump of sand at the end. I put him directly on the disc this time hoping he'll take to it. Do you think he'll be ok? with the threads and all? I tried my hardest to not damage the threads while I was taking it out.

EDIT: I went to check on it just now and it opened up like normal. I just want a second opinion as to if he's going to be alright!!

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

As long as you didn't tear the foot when trying to move it, it should be fine.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

What sucks about clams is that they can take a while to die, if it opened right back up, you should be ok, but it could take months to see if it fully recovers.

12. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

thats true...that's exactly what i've been told. Well i'll try my best to care for it. only time will tell!! Thanks guys!! Appreciate it!!