Clam closed up

Discussion in 'Clams' started by calgar, Jun 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. calgar

calgar Plankton

My clam has closed up I don't know why, It only opens 3mm up. My corals seem to be doing fine and my fish arn't stressing. Could it be affected by high calcium, magnesium, aklinity? my calcium is at 600, magnesium is at 1800 and aklinity is 15 degrees

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nope, that wouldn't do it. How long have you had the clam and what kind of lighting is it under? How are the rest of your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)? What kind of clam is it?

4. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

I have to respectfully disagree, but your parameters may be doing it. Your calc is way high and if you are measuring your alkalinity in dkh, 15 is way up there too. What are you doing for dosing and have you tried dialing it back?

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Clams are not the hardiest creatures. Is the clam tissue receding inside the shell?

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Clams usually will retract when they don't see enough light. What type of lights do yo uhave it under and what breed of clam do you have? Along with the ALK, what pH is your system running at? Generally, with high ALK, you will have elevated pH.

7. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

Your water parameters are all way high !!