Cladophora: An exciting alternative to Chaeto?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Recently an enormous amount of rare filamentous algae balls washed up on a beach in Sydney Australia and caused quite a stir for locals. Daily Mail likes to be sensational and say scientists are baffled but they are well-documented. Known as Marumo algae in Japan, Moss or Lake Balls elsewhere, Cladophora aegagropila has just peaked my interest as a possible fascinating alternate to chaetomorpha in our aquarium refugiums. Generally found in freshwater, Cladophora algae does tolerate a range of pH and water hardness as shown in Sydney. Cladophora is easy to grow and soaks up nutrients much like chaeto. The obvious difference between the two is the round shape which by design may make it more beneficial in that it would rotate in current better and not require the flipping I have to do in my fuge with chaeto. Cladophora is also farmed and you can buy it right now. Perhaps I am late to the party, but I am very curious if anyone has tried this yet in saltwater refugiums. Details in links below.

[​IMG]
    Photo Credit: Daily Mail UK

More Details:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ied-Floating-Objects-washed-Sydney-beach.html

http://fishsabby.com/moss-ball-cladophora-aegagropila/

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-take-care-of-marimo-balls/

Buy it here:
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/Moss_Balls_Cladophora_aegagropila_p/misc25.htm

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This algae is also called 'Tribbles' which is hilarious because I thought of that too. :)

[​IMG]

Corailline and Billme like this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

interesting!

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Is this the same moss ball commonly sold for freshwater aquariums? I don't understand how this can be in saltwater.

1.0reef likes this.
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

as stated in first post it appears to be extremely tolerant and just washed up on a beach in Sydney

8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I'm pretty curious to see some in a marine setup! I would go out and see if I can find one, if I weren't sick. booo

I can see them up against a baffle in my sump, the water flowing over them, possibly keeping them rolling with the flow of the water.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I get that, I just don't understand how it's possible for the algae to do that

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

From what i read about them they are a hardy algae that can tolerate a sg of up to 1.010 which is quite a bit less than 1.026 which we have our reefs at. I dont mind being a guinea pig ill go get some right now and see if it can withstand the stronger salinty.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sweet nc2. Please keep us posted. Very curious. :)

DSC reef likes this.