Clacium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Grotto, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Only reason I used it even though I had read all the glowing reports on it... NOT, was because I was given 2 large bottles by my LFS, and I was originally only going to have a few Zoa's and softies so really didn't see they need to use anything else.

Now in retrospect, I realize that there had to be a reason why he "gave" me $30 worth of product, I mean he likes me enough but... Then I found out he quit carrying it and started carrying B-ionic! And now after bringing home my 15th or 16th SPS frag, I realize the need for a something much better than Purple-up!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

2 large bottles worth $30? Retail or wholesale? I ask because most LFS around here will charge $20+ per bottle (large).

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

He had a price tag on them for 14.99 each, but for all I know that was a clearance price. He haded me a bunch of those Kent additives the other day, you know the one's in the little plastic 50 Gallon dose tube's? I think he gave me Calcium, Strontium and something else. I sure I will end up tossing them.

What ever he has had hanging on the shelves for longer than he thinks he should he gives to his live-in customers like me. Some times its really good stuff, He handed me a Current USA 48" Dual Satellite PC light one day, from the looks of the box it had been on top of a cabinet for a really long time, nasty, but the light works great. Cant beat free!

5. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

:)

Well, 9 tsp later my calcium tested at 384 ppm, so it's working it's just really going slowly. Thanks again for the posts everyone, I tent to second guess myself a lot :p On the bright side I just mixed together another 8 tsp and added it to the sump and I've finally finished the jar out. Now i can go out and get something better!

Latest test:
    pH = 8.1
    Ca = 384 ppm
    Mg = 1498 ppm
    dKH = 3.0 or 10.5

Once again, thanks everyone :)

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:thumbs_up

Will you be buying the turbo calcium granuals? If you do, be careful when mixing it with water because it will get hot. Then again, I think the Seachem stuff gets hot too doesn't it?

7. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yeah, it made the water pretty warm and foggy then after about a min poof, crystal clear water. The increase wasn't anything too dramatic though, just made the water a little warm to the touch. haven't decided what I'm going to get yet, will let you know though! :):)

8. Click Here!

9. chemicalblue

chemicalblue Astrea Snail

Do you guys like the liquid C-Balance? I've been told the powders (Kent Turbo Calcium, and Seachem Reef Builder) are the best to use for Kh and Ca. What is your opinion on running halides during cycling the tank, to jump start the coraline algae growth? Thanks!

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Everything I have read about Coraline Say's it low light and MH's are not low light. I can say that the coraline in my tanks is growing great guns under my overflow, on the rocks at the bottom of the tank and other shady spots and I am only using t5's and PC lights. where the light hits is head n it has died back or turned white.

11. chemicalblue

chemicalblue Astrea Snail

Ok,30gallon breeder, 6days old, earlier I had read here that low light(I've only got LED's,9blue,9white) was best for coraline growth in new tanks. What about dosing Ca Kh during cycling(30gallon filled with RO and water from a 36gallon reef)? Is it pointless to dose until the water is matured?

12. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Since I installed the Kalk dispenser I now put a capful of Purple Up in once a week. My coralline is purpling up but as others have seen in areas away from intense light. I also run T5HO lamps. Very happy with the results. Also added more in tank flow. This has had an effect which surprised me as far as growth goes.
    some call me frank