CJ's New 90Gal Setup

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ComputerJohn, Jan 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Hello Everyone,

I'm still fairly new to saltwater & reef aquarium setups, but have been running a 29g for over a year now. I learned quite a bit with the 29 from friends & of course good old trial and error. Which can be costly at times, but hey what the heck!

Any input I would greatly appreciated. I'll post pics & a progress report as I'm going along.

Thanks,

CJ

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I can read binary code in ASCII-8 and EBCDIC, but don't worry... I won't tell the mods what your avatar says.
    Welcome to 3Reef and best of luck on the new 90G setup.

4. ComputerJohn

1st pics posted

I have been looking for a larger tank for months. Looked at local pet stores, craigslist & even ebay with no good results. Since my girl & I decided to live together, it now was clear I needed to make a purchase ASAP of a larger tank. It was kinda pointless of moving my 29g & setup a tank I have pretty much maxed out.

My purchase was a 90Gal All Glass Aquarium $337.99 on sale from Petco. Believe it or not it was the cheapest & even included the MegaFlow kit that others wanted to charge $70.00 for it. I wasn't crazy about spending $494.99 on sale mind you for a damn stand, but it is oak. The stand is much taller than the pine versions & does not need the center brace that would be in my way when working with the sump area.

Any ideas on how large of a sump I should make? I was thinking of using a 29g or possible 40g tank & installing dividers?

As for a pump my local reef supplier recommended a EcoPlus 1056 Pump in which he stated I might need to turn down a bit. He stated the Eco 633 would be too small. As for a heater he recommened a Aqueon 300W Submersible Heater. I have a Seaclone 100 on my 29g now, but it's going to be too small. Any suggestions???

Thanks,

CJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. ComputerJohn

LOL... Thank you so much Bogie.. My friend is coming over later on today to figure out the pumping with me. Posted some new pics..

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Depends on what you're planning on doing for lights. If you're going to run MHs, then you'll have extra heat in the summer especially. A submersible pump in your sump tank will add to the heat, so an external pump is better for that reason. Are you going to run a skimmer off the pump too? What skimmer are you planning on using?

7. ComputerJohn

Well the house is a raised ranch with a finished basement. The tank is going to be in the basement which is cooler. I was planning on getting a MH setup at some point & if need be in the summer get a chiller. For now my main concern it getting it running stable. For a skimmer not sure. I want a good one, but not break the bank. I'll even go used if I can find one at a decent price.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

Been a little busy between my regular work, computer repair & working on client websites. I just bought my new, well used protein skimmer. Picking up my new AG 40gal tank that i'm converting into my sump tomorrow. I'm currently debating is I should have my sump under my 90gal setup or put the sump on the otherside of the wall.

1 person likes this.
  10. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Well, the other side of the wall would make things sooooooo much easier to work with, but then you're taking up space in the other room. It depends what the other room is IMO. Looks great though!

11. ComputerJohn

Thanks still have a lot of work though. The other side of the wall is a storage area. Still have to convince the GF. lol... I'll take some pics.

12. ComputerJohn

Setup Location

This is where my tank setup is going to be located. The mini wine rack is going to move to where it's big brother is, don't need my water getting changed to wine.

Attached Files: