CJ's BoostLED Bulb Review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Oct 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have four bulbs total going over my 55. My initial thought for installing these was some sort of track lighting fixture but I found out that most use G9 type bulbs. I don't want four individual clamp lights so for my particular application I was thinking a drop-down ceiling type fixture. I'll probably build some sort of bulb holder with four sockets that'll span my tanks length and hang that from studs in my ceiling,preferably something that'll allow height adjustment for proper coral acclimation.How and what materials exactly I haven't figured out,But I'm open to ideas ;).

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

My refuge size is 17H x 13D x 18L. Which the length is a little more than half the length if my 29gal. It is very bright considering the bulb was 9 1/2" above the water. So I believe two bulbs should be plenty.

4. ComputerJohn

No Problem.. Let me know how it works out on your 55gal. I have a 90DT & if these bulbs do what I want, I'll replace my 48" T5 fixture with these. I'll just need between 6-8 of them. Still cheaper than a LED fixture.

The other thing I'm considering on my mounts are to incorporate moonlights, I do have a GREAT idea for them. I just need to order more bulb LEDs from my supplier in China, which will take 20-30 days to get.

I do have white ones for now, so I''ll try it with them first..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. ComputerJohn

Since these bulbs just use a regular light socket, you could use a clamp light, but no very nice on the eyes, especially in a display tank. Nismo400rgtr and myself are going to custom build a mount to house the bulb for looks & function. ;D

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

^I like his idea with making into a single fixture.^
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should go with two or 3 bulb sofr my 29g reef. looks like it will be two.

7. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

I'm getting one for my fuge for sure but what about coral? I'm looking forward to reviews and will post mine as well.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

These are supposed to be 'reef capable', supporting even sps.

10. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

Thats awesome, Seano! Does anyone know of any literature for me so I can find out PAR vs Wattage? I want to find out more before I make my purchase and make sure it's right for me.

11. ComputerJohn

They do make an all white bulb with 90 degree optics for refuge use. As you can see how bright my test was with just 3 blues & 2 white bulbs 60 degree optic configuration. The 90 will give a wider light pattern. The lower the degrees, the more focus the light pattern is. I'll have my 29gal tank running by Friday. I'll post what the bulbs look on the tank.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  12. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

I look forward to checking it out. I'm really interested in switching all my lights to LED.