christmas favia

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Oct 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i got this frag about 3 months ago and nothing is going on with it meaning no growth. is it dead or what? it still has its colors. my other favia i got at that same time are doing the same. seems like the only thing growing is my maze brain , acan and chailce.

2. Click Here!

3. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Favia's from what I am reading are slow glowers. "They typically enjoy gentle currents, and lower lighting, along with a weekly feeding. Favia will benefit from feeding of brine shrimp, mysis, or micro-plankton. Favia’s semi-transparent feeding tentacles will extend well beyond the specimen, reaching out and possibly stinging adjacent corals. So care in placement of the Favia is important, leave a space between it and its neighbors. "

Care Level: easy to moderate
    Aggressiveness: aggressive when tentacles are visible
    Lighting: medium to lower
    Water Flow: mild to moderate
    Placement: bottom to lower third
    Water Conditions: 74-80 degrees
    dKH 8-12
    pH 8.1-8.4
    sg 1.023-1.026

Though you would have to give us what your readings are for the tank, size of tank, type of lighting, placement of coral etc..

Remember go slow and let it grow :)

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Favia are very slow growers...much like most LPS. If it still has color, it is very much alive. Try feeding as stated above. Wait an hour or do after lights go out and spot feed mysis or brine. It might help to put a cup over the favia to ensure fish don't steal the food.

5. zzzzzzzzpr

prems are good, its a 55g tank, they are at the bottom, and i have MH w/ 4 artnic blues. but they are in the shade since my lighting is over powering. have 2 250w MH and the blues i gues are normal.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

My Xmas favia is a very slow grower-I've had it for going on 3yrs and it's prob put on maybe 2" of new growth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  7. zzzzzzzzpr