Choosing the correct tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by wildreef, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

Take some advice and don't go cheap... Try not to cut corners! Get a good Ro/Di, Skimmer, and lighting. In the end, the beauty will outweigh the cost. It wouldn't be a great hobby if it was inexpensive;D! Although we all wish it could be.

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Decisions, decisions... I'm seriously considering changing my upcoming tank purchase from a 120 gal 48X24X24 to a Marineland 200 gal 48X36X27.
    http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/Products/productspotlight.aspx
    I must be crazy or a glutton for punishment. And, I'm moving up from a 36X18 65 gal reef! Somebody please talk some sense into me! Years ago I had a 150 gal FO tank and I loved it even though it wasn't anywhere near as nice as a reef tank. I just loved the volume of water. Well anyway my decision will come Saturday 1/10/2009 as I enter my favorite fish store and pay less than half price for a truly gorgeous setup because they are closing out a ton of stuff. I think they are in financial trouble. I will check this thread before I leave so give me your comments or condolances before 2 PM.

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Well, I have to tell you that I was sold on the 200 gal tank but I just could not justify the amount of space it would take up in a condo. I drove the salesman crazy. We measured everything. The big drawback was the stand was only 27" from the floor to the bottom of the tank. I then would have to build a platform to give it some height and that is easy for me to do but it scares me to think about all that weight and if something were to happen I could get sued by the condo board so I got cold feet as the salesman was ringing up the deal. I was embarrassed but knew I had to call off the tank sale. I did however buy the Sealife RM300 Refugium Sump anyway for the 120 Gal tank tank I'm going to get. So all was not lost for the Salesman. I just wish I had the room because at $1150 for the Marineland Deep Dimension Tank, stand and canopy it is one hell of a deal that I may soon regret that I didn't take advantage of. It's sitting in the Barrier Reef in Boca Raton and someone's gonna walk in and get a $2300 setup for half price. Oh well!:-/