Choosing the correct tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by wildreef, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

And why are you keeping this thread alive Gras?...lol

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

well thought it would be a good idea, but apparently not......:-/

4. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    great topic, i.m.o. the shallower/wider/longer the better, if i had to start all over my first tank would be 30 breeder

5. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

If I had to start all over, I'd have a 100 gallon instead of the 58 gallon;D

6. Cris

Cris Plankton

I was just wondering when it comes to size ,do you think long and shallow is better than short and deep?

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The more surface area the better for gas exchange. However, you will have more temp variation and evaporation. Still better overall though.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes. Fish swim side to side, not up and down. There are plenty of 90 gallon tall tanks out there that offer less room for the fish than my 40 standard.
    That being said, some tanks just seem to be too shallow. I have been looking for a 100 gallon+ tank for about a month now, and came across one that was a 125 gallon and was only like 14 inches tall. It just looked ridiculous. And no, it wasnt a terrarium for repitles. This thing was drilled and everything. The guy had a full blown reef tank in it for 2 years before having to move.

10. hultink

hultink Plankton

ok that was a good read for me (the newbie extreme reader) but i want to know how much you guys spend on the initial setup on a huge tank? the thing is im going to build a house this spring and am a carpenter, I have the perfect spot for a in the wall, somthing like a 13Lx2Wx2H feet tank with a 14 by 8 room behind for the equipment but i have a hard time even fathoming the cost of everything from the build to the just before water part. I want to do this right the first time ?

11. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

You all have valid points, which I agree with in principle. However, it is not impossible to be successful as a beginner on a small tank. I cut my teeth on a 5g nano for the first 2 yrs.

Diligence, patience, and research are the supreme factors for reef-tank success. Also, no two tanks will ever be the same so what works for some may not work for others.

I believe that choosing the correct livestock is more important for a beginner than tank size. Has anyone ever killed a Kenya Tree? I am not sure that is possible. On the other hand, I may never touch a Goniopora even when I have 50yrs of reef-keeping under my belt.

12. bhoeschcod

bhoeschcod Plankton