Choosing a sump return.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by PghSteeler, Nov 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Nice choice, keep us posted on how it works out. I was in the same exact boat a few months ago when I was setting up my 75, but decided to go with EHEIMs for stability. Unfortunately there's no long-term data yet on how long the DC pumps last, as it's pretty new tech in aquariums and I was concerned what to do if the pump was to die on me.

If anything, I would get another cheap pump for just incase as a backup (and you can use it to mix salt, etc).

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Yea the hydors are cheap enough that I plan on getting one of them as a waterchange pump/backup just in case.

I dont see them sold very many places (the DC) but saltysupply is a sponser here and pretty reputable. I ended up going through aquariumspecialty.com though since they had a really good sale going and they were rated A+ on the BBB. Item was out of stock but I dont even have the stand built yet so Im not worried about waiting a little extra. They have been out for a few years and advancedaquarist did a nice write up on them. It was on the gen 1 pump and not the gen 2 though. The reviews on the pumps seem favorable as well so we shall see.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/waveline-dc-5000-pump-unboxed-and-reviewed

4. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

I did read up on them. Most reviews are on first generation, and it had a lot of issues with quality. Having said that looks like a lot of the issues were worked out with Gen 2, so I hope this pump lasts you a lifetime. Here's a link to a nice read on DC pumps: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/06/10/dc-pumps/.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed and I think it should level off. It has just been my experience when making adjustments to the pump flow rate that the sump level fluctuates enough that it could trigger an ATO. Now you have my curious how fast it evens out. I might mess around with that. :)

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

If you do find an answer to this please post and let us know! Im sure I will experiment with it once set up but thats not going to be for a little while.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have the reef octopus/jebao from 2013. So far has worked great for me. Looks like the waveline was the same pump as well. The new reef octopus DC pumps are not the same. RO rep told that me there were too many problems with the jebao version.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Luckily MY Jabeo DC`12000 for my RP is still doing well.

The AC/DC power supply did go out once though.- Not the pump.

Thru some phone calls, wheeling and dealing, and using a friends DC12000 that DID go out though,
    I now have a back up DC1200 also- that was free,covered by warranty!

Good luck, and no pump is without at least 1 or 2 issues.

I have also heard good things about that Fluval RP.