Chloramine VS. DI Resin In Your RO/DI Filter

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpectraPure

SpectraPure 3reef Sponsor

Can we edit our own existing posts?

Scott
    SpectraPure, Inc.

2. Click Here!

3. AquaFX

AquaFX Plankton

I just wanted to reply to this subject as we have been helping countless end users and local fish stores save tons of money from properly removing their chloramines thru our Chloramine Blaster carbon prefiltration, and not prematurely exhausting the DI resin which is much more expensive

It is MUCH less expensive to significantly reduce or remove Chloramine with our Chloramine Blaster Carbon line. One part you have correct, the DI will remove it, because we are NOT in the business of soaking (no pun intended) our customers, we did our research. It will cost the RO/DI user a lot more money to remove Chloramine with DI resin. Chloramine increases the rate at which the DI exhausts, ammonia (ammonia remains after passing chloramine through a traditional carbon block) is not well rejected in membranes. The Catalytic Carbons cost less (around ½ of a DI) and have a usable life 5 to 9 times longer than a DI filter (closer to 9 in most cases) So very little math will lead you to the obvious conclusion that it would be much expensive and create a lot more physical waste with your approach.

There are many types of carbons that are available to reefers and the rest of the world (beside the one carbon block you referenced). I strongly suggest you learn about, at least, some of them. The reason we use 2 of Blaster Carbons together is due to required contact time, something I urge you to read up on as well.

Don't get discouraged, we are always here to help!

Marianne Brizio
    President

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

LOL, way to necro your 4 year old spam thread! Also I'm not entirely sure that this kind of "viral advertising" in a non-Vendor-specific forum is compliant with forum rules.