Resolved Chiton ID (photo added)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by xmetalfan99, May 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I found what I believe to be a chiton in my tank. I am pretty sure that it is not a fuzzy, but cannot ID it properly to ID it properly.

Has 8 parts to its body. Can curl up like rolly polly bugs. The flesh part of it is green and slightly brown. The flash also has some red lines going through it. The shell is mainly brown with what looks like thick darker brown lines. It also has a few white spots on each section of the shell.

I removed him from the DT because that's what I do with everything I cannot identify. He/she/it is in a container until we can identify it and either confirm it to be reef safe or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It is a chiton which is reef safe, no need to worry. There are hundreds of tropical species.

1 person likes this.
  4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

looks like a common rock chiton found in the Caribbean. The locals eat them in the Bahamas they are actually pretty tasty.

1 person likes this.
  5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I actually find him on one of my rocks.

Are all chitons reef safe? I was under the belief that not all of them were.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm not sure if Leslie meant this chiton is reef safe or all chitons are reef safe... :confused:

I do know that several are not (as per John at reefcleaners). I tend to throw stuff out when in doubt, but if this is safe, I'd really want to keep it. It's a nice looking chiton.

I recommend pinging 'pagojoe' for an answer. That guy is brilliant with snails.

1 person likes this.
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Yea, I didn't know which she meant either and I prefer knowing for sure before I put something back in my tank.

I will try sending him a message.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Dr Leslie H. knows her stuff folks. Why not simply PM her to see what she meant? I defer to her on a lot of questions :D

10. LeslieH

Why Gresh, I thought you didn't defer to me on anything! :D

I meant any chiton that shows up in a reef tank will be reef safe in the sense that they are not predators and don't eat corals, fish, or other valuable livestock. 99% of chitons are grazers on micro-algae, organic films, and encrusting organisms. 1% are very specialized predators on small planktonic organisms like amphipods but these are cold water. A diver from the US Pacific coast could get one for a local habitat tank but not a tropical reefer buying LR.

There are two potential problems with chitons. One is that they will eat corallines so if you like pink rocks don't keep it. On the other hand they're great at keeping coralline under control. The second is that some people with acrylic tanks have complained that they leave scratch marks on the walls. I don't know how common that is.

Chitons can be very hard to identify because the shape of the shell plates & the hard mouth parts can essential characters. What reefers call "fuzzy chiton" is not one species but a whole mix of different species, genera, and families. I would just leave it as "smooth chiton".

11. LeslieH

In the sense that it's colorful with a smooth shell & fleshy margin, yes. :) I don't think there are any tropical Tonicella. They're all cold water species.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hi Leslie. I guess I haven't really read threads you posted in yet. Couldn't find an intro thread for ya either.

You seem to know your stuff and come acclaimed by Gresham. If you don't mind my asking, who are you, what do you do?

P