China Led sellers

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, May 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This kind of answers alot of my questions. From the official Cree website. They are based in NC. But in 2007 acquired a manufacturing plant in China called "Cree Hong Kong ltd."

Now the question is, how easy or impossible is it for the other chinese guys to clone actual Cree modules?

2. Click Here!

3. DarkEarth

Lol. Let me answer my own question again.

These things are nearly impossible to clone folks. Some kind of nitride gel is "grown" onto a silicon wafer requiring clean room technology. Basically you need to be able to work with silicon disks to form the functioning LED onto the disk.

From touring my brothers workplace in SLC where they make memory(for Macs/ipods etc.) from silicon disks and seeing the hundred million dollar clean rooms. I honestly dont think Chinacloning is going to be a major problem with Cree technology.

However there is a possibility that product that doesnt make Tier A spec, will still be sold off as Teir B or C. and onto the open market via cheaper LEDs and fixtures, and probably not allowed to bear the Cree name. But you know how it is, it may still say Cree in the listing.

LOL.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. cathy

cathy Plankton

I total agree with you .

5. DarkEarth

Actually, im very interested in the third one that the OP linked to with the Cree XPE Royal Blues.

Says 30 minimum order, but no price listed. I've messaged the seller. And I am a business owner. Non-aquarium industry. Maybe they can just tell me where I can buy one retail.

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

First off why is being made in china a bad thing? China happens to be the production capital of the world. Japan was the high tech capital of the world. I consider many electronics from their superior to our selection here. Yes their are cheap copies being made there but also lots very good electronics and components coming out of their that are 3 years ahead of our technology over here.

In terms of the leds. Cree now has some new bulbs that are amazing. The xm series and mc multi chips are the better ones to be looking at for aquarium use in my opinion. They have 2x to 3 x more lumen output than the xpg series. Some of the multi chips can run up to 430 lumens per watt. And the XML s at 280.

Led comparison isn't fair right now. Look at mh. We have Witt Ed down to the good companies and the cheap companies. I.e. Odyssea. The Cree model led in mass production isn't the highest or best one to use IMO. So it's not fair to compare that units specs to a geissman or aquatic illumination which are very good quality.

If we built a fixture using top of the line chips like the xmls and the multi chips I think that would be a better comparison when seeing a led units power.

Most companies are only using 1 w LEDs or 3 w. There are more powerful ways to use this light such as multi chips and much more quality LEDs.

7. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

China will counterfeit anything.

8. Click Here!

9. reefkush

reefkush Plankton

Evolution Leds

You don't need a business license to order anything from Alibaba. I get stuff from there all the time and I don't even have a business. There is also aliexpress which you might want to check out.

Most led brands such as boost led, evolution led, ecoray, maxspect and many others get their led fixtures from alibaba and just rebrand them. I got one 120 watt evolution led fixture from alibaba for 200 with shipping to resell for a profit whereas they sell for over 300 I think on the evolution led site.