Chill out!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

On a very hot day 107 F and higher I use those small square cooler blocks you can throw into a back pack or what ever. They are blue and last forever as long as you do not puncture them. You just refreeze them use again and rotate them.

I place them in the appropriate size zip lock baggie and place them in the sump compartment.

I also raise the lights and make sure the fan is blowing across the surface of the water.

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I sure wish my sump was running, I get some SPS pretty close to the surface so I worry about floating stuff in the DT, 2 of my Corals is showing lots of stress, I am not using my MH light and only half of my T-5's. I got the AC on now, my wife didn't get laid off, but the minute she steps in the door I am sure it will go back off :( thats what I get for marrying a Filipino that thinks 80 is cold, hahaha!! I think I got some of that blue freezing stuff in those bags. I may need to do that.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yep, you may have to put the fan on a timer or temp controller or it could start fighting the heater they work so well. The one disadvantage is evaporation and top offs will increase but it sure beats a chiller when it comes to electric bills. I sold my 1/4 HP chiller 3 years ago and never once regretted it.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Currently I am using fans to cool my cube down (Max temp 80.1), they work very well but I need to keep my apartment at 79 to prevent my fans from running non stop and evaping 3 gallons per day and idk why but I'm not a fan of putting ice into my tank in a sealed baggy. I think I might take a challenge and build a DIY cooler..

I am going to use things I have laying around the house...

MJ1200 or Pico pump.
    1/2 tubing
    Cooler/Bucket
    Ice

Basically you run cold water into the tubing and place tubing into you tank, then return cold water back into the cooler...

Does anyone see any issues with this idea besides the MJ warming up the water a little?

OR!!! OR!!!!

Take a 5 gallon bucket and drill two 1/2in holes into the very bottom (lower the better), make a long U shape using tubing, place U into sump or tank. Make sure 5 gallon (filled with ICE water) bucket ABOVE sump or tank. The COLDER water will always travel down into the U because cold water is heavier. I basically took this idea/concept from a medial device, here is the website of what I'm talking about.
    http://www.physioroom.com/product/Aircast_Knee_Cryo_Cuff_with_Cooler/2272/35982.html

1/2 bulkhead fitting http://compare.ebay.com/like/220797689717?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

hahaha! I been busy in my mind also trying to figure a way to cool my water during this heat wave, when i woke up and my water was 86, I went right to work, right now I have a large fan blowing on the tank, frozen RO water and salt water out of the tank in the freezer. I'm really not to keen on the idea of floating anything in the tank either, but if my water gets that warm again, I may have to

10. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Man I thought I had problems because my tank going between 78-82 with the majority of the time being 79.5-80.5. I would love it to stay around 77 maybe in the winter but my electric bill is going to kill me with this AC unit for the fish :)

11. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I just put 2 small fans in my sump area. 1 is a 4 in clip on which blows over the sump itself, the other is a 6 in box fan that works like an exhaust fan for the cabinate. It has made a big difference so far. My temp has not gone over 80.2 so far

12. reefnJeff

Will I have almost totally destroyed my Blue Waving hand from overly warm water, I wake almost every morning with the temp being around 85 to 86 in my tank and during the day I get it down to around 82 to 80. So this is my plan to help cool my water.

With the pump I would buy, I would use a single hose of either 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" size, the pump is a small 75 GPH Fountain Pump. I am wondering how well it would push through about 15ft of hose? What size of those 3 would be best?

Attached Files: