Chill out!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

There are indeed some oceans out there that reach 82.... but our tanks are a poor representation of single particular area. Our fish/coral could come from a place that hits 82 regularily, or a place that never hits 82. They can live in the surfaces of the waters where it's hotter, or run much deeper where's it's cold. I try not to do too much comparison between our hobby and the ocean unless I'm looking to do a local ecosystem of things indigionous to the area and try to immulate their environment. But buying fish from here, there and everywhere.... they may all have different tolerances. My fish when they hit 80 start gilling.

Leathers can definitely take awhile to adjust to MHs. I placed mine up high and then would lower the fixture a couple of times every week. Eventually he got use to it, but mine never looked quite as happy as they did under PCs. So, put the coral as low as you can and your lights asv high as is practical and anesthetically pleasing.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well you should do more comparisons and there are more than "some" reefs reaching 82 degrees. We need to be cognitive of what we keep. Keeping corals that sit at depths of 150 feet in a tank that has corals that require high lighting is just asking for problems. Your fishing are "gilling" from a reduction in O2.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Yes, indeed my fish have increased work of breathing due to the lower available 02 when the temperature of the tank goes above 80..... which means they don't tolerate temps above 80.

I wasn't trying to reference a certain percentage of oceans that are above or below 82, just that they can be different temperatures and we don't always know that info when we buy our fish. Some fish/corals are not strictly deepwater or shallow water.... they can be in all areas, but again, most hobbyists aren't privy to that informationof their particular fish. And from diving many of those oceans, they were not typically 82...... unless relaxing on the deck of the liveaboard with a nice cool drink.... awwww..... good times.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

My reef tanks have always been 78-80 and I have never had any problems. 82 is higher than I would like but not cause for alarm.
    Aerate the water and the dissolved oxygen level will be good enough to keep the fish happy.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

I keep mine around 76 (I use chillers) and this is why, I assume, mine have trouble if it climbs. Not everyone's will have trouble, so this is why I referred to my own guys specifically. Absolutely 82 won't kill a fish if everyone's tank was to change right now, but we really can't compare ourselves to the ocean, IMO. And the ocean isn't one single entity with like parameters. Even little isolates within a single area can vary so much.

7. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

My temp is down to 78 and the leather is starting to look normal again, lights been off, i'll know more tomorrow if the lights or temp was the leather corals issue, I seen lots of programs on our beautiful reef sea creatures, I have heard on how devastating just a change of a few degrees can be on the reefs, I like to maintain a temp of about 76-77

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

After a nice Nat Geo show, or the like, I'm always amazed we can succeed all. The amount of food is crazy down there. But I do think nutrition is our greatest miss thus far.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Agreed. My tank ranges between 80 - 83 and everything is fine. The danger point is in the high 80's in terms of temprature. The thing to watch for is overstocking. The waters capacity to hold oxygen goes down as the temp goes up, so if you're overstocked a high temp is a problem. The other risk is the higher the temp, the less time your tank will survive a power outage because of the lack of available oxygen.

If the stocking is reasonable, 83 is not a problem, particularly if it's only a peak measure and not an all day thing.

11. reefnJeff

I got my temp down to 76 thanks to some thunderstorms cooling things down over night, MH lights are on and my leather coral looks good, surely his behavior over the past several days had to be temp related, it was the only change in the tank.

Attached Files:

12. reefnJeff

What I would give for a chiller right now, I wonder what others are doing to beat this heat wave that don't have chillers? This morning my tank was at 86, had the AC on for awhile last night, but my tropical wife quickly starting to complain it was cold, hahaha! Guess its a good thing I am laid off from work, I been taking water out of my tank and freezing it at no end, with no end in sight to this heat wave, I am going to have to up scale my ice making business, this is no way to do this. So what are you doing?