Chill out!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Yesterday we had record breaking temps of 94, all day long I would put a gallon of my tank water in the freezer until cold, pour it in and do it again, I couldn't even get my temp in the tank below 82, got a small fan, but now I can't find a way to get to help the tank, this morning I started with ice cubes in a fish bag. Surely no way to go about this. No MH lights again today.

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

hahaha! my wife makes me crazy when I am as close to being naked as I can, cus I am so warm and shes wearing a sweater complaining how cold it is, the thrill of marrying a tropical girl, in the winter the heat goes up and down at least 10 times a day. until she arrived here in Minnesota, USA the coldest temp she ever felt was 76 at night in the Philippines, then the family prepares for a long cold winter night, hahaha.

4. reefnJeff

ohhh boy! Arctica Titanium Chillers 1/15hp mini is only $400.00, someone said 1/4hp should do it at $750, dead man walking, wife is going to really kill me.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

It's already 82 @ 10:30am here in Rockford IL! Good luck today, I hope the fans help.

If you can try to turn on any overhead fans (ceiling fan) and get plenty of air movement.

I have a large ceiling fan on and two computer fans on my tank.

6. reefnJeff

About the same here in Central Minnesota, floating ice and chilling tank water i got the temp down to 81, leather coral still ain't opening, he seems to be effected by it the most.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

82 degrees in a tank is fine.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

My fish don't tolerate anything above 80.

10. reefnJeff

I got the temp down to 80, do you think its the new MH lighting the yellow fiji leather is shying away from and not the temp?

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Set it lower in the tank and see how it responds. 82 isn't too hot, check out some average reef temperatures for comparison. We tend to keep temps lower because more oxygen dissolves into water at cooler temps. If it creeps up another 2-3 degrees, you will likely see bleaching.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Leathers are not high light corals.