Chill out!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I would take PVC pipe the aprox length of the water fall and cap the end. Drill multiple small holes along bottom of pipe for water to exit. Plumb this from the T off the return pump.

Just a thought. Good luck

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Not that I am totally in to cheap, I drive a $40.000 car ;), it took a lot just to convince my wife to let me have a 40b reef tank after I told her how spendy the hobby is.
    A sump is in the thought process, I got a 29g tank that will work fine for that.
    So much to do and the budget is so limited, checked the old ladies monthly budget limit, I am sitting at -$148, that sets the sump project back at least 3 months, i'll get the clip on fan.

4. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

You could sale the car and get a Ramsey clunker then have money to budget.

But then again, Ramsey would probably object to putting money into this ridiculously expensive hobby.

Good luck

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Buy a pack of water bottles and throw a bunch in the fridge and a few in the freezer.
    Toss 1 or more in the sump or display if your halides are off for a band-aid for the time being!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Raise that big halide up. That is a 250w on a 40b. You have to acclimate those corals too, so 2 birds with 1 stone.

7. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Yea!! i'm not selling my truck! :p Will the MH are off, to bad, I had them on about 6 hours yesterday and about 2 this morning and I noticed my Tri-Color Acropora responding to the much improved lighting, some of the tiny little polyps actually started to open a little, first time since I had it.
    This MH does not come with hanging option, so I have jerry-rig something, just haven't thought of it yet.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

How hot does it get there in the summer. When I lived in Texas, no fan would do the job needed when the AC went out. Fans will definitely help with mild elavations, but not if you get blasted in the summer. I also find fans throw the temperatures all over the place. I'm a set it and forget it kind of girl, I really don't want to be looking at the temp several times a day.

I'm the only Canadian at work amongst a big population of Philippinos..... the heat smacks you in the face when you enter the room. When I threaten to run around naked, they usually make it a little cooler in there for me :)

10. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

It is truly amazing what evaporative cooling can achieve. I keep my tank at a nice 78-79 all summer here in CO with only a walmart fan blowing across the top of the tank. It works so well that my heater has to run at some points during the day.

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

They didn't cut it in South Texas nor here in Southern California when we had a "heat wave".

12. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Keep in mind your tank is less concerned with your peak daily temprature than with its average temprature over the day. Fans may not be able to fight 100 degree weather, but good cooling at night helps keep you away from the peak during the day. That said, all this also means bigger temp swings which may be harmful in and of themselves, in which case a chiller is the best option.