Chill out!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Yesterday I got my 250w MH lights, so good so far, in the first 4 hours of use the temp in my tank only went up 1 degree, not bad considering the temp in the house went up from 71 to 84, NO! :( I can't use AC, my wife is from the Philippines and 84 to her is very comfortable, by end of the day the temp in my tank was 83, this will not do, today its suppose to be 90. Lights on this morning, still 82 in the tank, this will not do, I may not even turn on the MH lights today, perhaps I may need to consider a chiller, I know nothing at all about this piece of equipment, the IT WORKS! Is my budget level. And don't tell me Odyssea makes a Chiller, hahaha!!

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

If your house is 84 degrees , i don't think fans will work. You will definitely need a chiller.
    I would look at the jbj titanium artica chillers. 1/5 hp would probably do it.

4. reefnJeff

I'll check that out, the thing we won't do for our animals, I took a gallon of water out of my tank and its now sitting in the freezer. i surely can tell my yellow fiji leather is not happy about the temp in the tank, though my budget for my hobby is in the negative range, hahaha!!, maybe i'll sell the AC unit ;)

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Yeah, you will need a chiller. NO way fans are going to keep that tank cool when the temp is 84 in the house.

6. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I think reefsparky did an install thread a few years back with one , might be worth doing a search for.

7. reefnJeff

with outside temp being 90 today, it will be around 88 in here today, my goodness! my wife has been in the US for 4 years now and 74 is still cold to her, I love her, but my life in the 80's is very uncomfortable, good thing I am laid off <<<<<< not really! but at least I can take care of things, surely no MH light today :(

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You would be amazed what fans can do. A simple $10 WalMart clip on fan by itself can lower the water temp by 5-7 degrees or more easily even in warmer climates and higher humidity. I'm in Phoenix and kept my 100G with 2x250w MH and 2x140w VHO in a totally enclosed canopy at 79-80 easily with fans only. I sold the 1/4HP chiller 3 years ago as it never ran anymore. Our house also has a set back thermostat during the day when we are away at work and it has never been a problem with the tanks.

Do not discount what evaporation by fans can do but be prepared to add a lot of make up water.

10. reefnJeff

Wal-mart clip on fan huh!! I live near a Wal-mart ;) my uncle the king of cheap, always told me, when you have things to fix, always start with the cheapest possiable way then work your way up, hahaha!! I'm sure that does not apply to everything. I always keep a 5 gallon bottle of RO water full on hand all the time.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

It does a heck of a job. I even had to put it on a timer, then later on my controller as it was cooling off so much my heater was coming on.

12. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Another cheap fix. If you run sump and have a little space you can make a 4-5 layer waterfall using egg crate. T into return line for the water supply, offset each layer ~1" between each layer at slight angle to force water to spread. Place small cheap fan blowing across the waterfall. It will cool more than you think. Side effect will be evaporation. It will kinda act like a radiator in your car. And it's cheap.

1 person likes this.