Chevron Tang vs Purple Tang

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by johnc101, Mar 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

I just got my beautiful purple tang in from aquacon, normally my chevron tang is so gentle, now it is known that the tank is hers but when I finally acclimated the purple tang she went straight for her. She is not biting but she is like nudging her all the time and chasing the purple tang. I have my lights off to try and calm down both of them.

I thought the chevron tangs were more of the docile speices of the tangs and really am seeing a different side of her than she normally acts.

Hopefully my chevron will establish dominence and leave my purple tang alone.

anyone have any experience with the two being together???

thanksss

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

How big is your tank? How big are both tangs?

4. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

Tank is 120 gallon

my chevron is about 3 inches and my purple tang is about 2 inches

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

My Chevron is 5" and Purple 5" ... They play very well together, Infact they share the same Hiding spot. My purple was added first however.

6. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

was waiting for you to chime in redgambit, thanks for the encouragement. hopefully they will start to play nice...........

7. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

give them 5 days and they will be cordial. two weeks and they will not even notice each other.

Take my three. all LARGE tangs. sohal at 8" naso at 7 and purple at 5". purple added last and all it wanted to do was fight the sohal. lots of tail flapping and stare downs. purple ended up with two large wounds. after a month, they are all fine together now and I never see any aggression from them.

incidentally, I heard that they are not allowing the import of fish from the red sea at this time due to shipping restrictions from the region and instability, so those purple's will go way up in price. a 3" one is now $169 on LA when they used to retail for $70 at the LFS!

8. Click Here!

9. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

i got mine for $169 but bluezoo asking $239 for small 1-1.5 inches and $259 for medium, aquacon cane through with excellent service and beautiful purple tang

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

makes me happy I got mine for 90 bucks when I did.

11. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

glad to report they are best of buds after the bullying......

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Good deal. Glad to hear they are getting along. Keep them well fed with a high quality flake, notice daily and some meaty foods mixed in and you will have fat happy fish.