Cheryl's JBJ.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Corailline, Oct 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

So after 2 redos I finally had it with Aiptasia and Majanos. Got all new rock, scrubbed the tank with Vinegar. Removed all sand, scrapped the walls, soaked the pumps, soaked the mag-floats. One week later I am happy to report no pest Anemones. Never ever again will I allow even one aiptasia in the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the issue, my YWG that is over 4 years old and my only other fish an adult Clown reside in the tank. Today I witnessed the Clown swimming around in the tank with Goby by the tail.

No sand for the Goby but the Goby seems fine without. Has anyone here kept a BB tank and Gobies? I have a feeling this is the last straw and the female Clown will have to be re-homed as she kills anything and everything introduced to the tank.

What you are about to see is what happens when you do not ERADICATE all pest anemones immediately, you end up having to re-do it eventually. No kalk paste, no boiling water, nothing nada worked long term.

View at your own risk. Any Goby help would be appreciated.

:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Tank looks nice and cleannnnnnnnn!

Someone in my local reef club has a wrasse that likes sand at night, and decided to go barebottom. She ended up hiding a tupperware container full of sand behind her rock work for it. Not sure if that'd help, but just thought I'd mention it!

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

finally an FTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, I would think the goby would need sand, especially a watchman, but I've never kept one without sand, so I'm probably not the person to ask.

5. Corailline

Now that is an idea.

I will not add a sand bed again, not going to happen.

Perhaps I could hit is with some rubble behind the rock work.

6. Corailline

LOL yep there for all the world to see. ;)

The Goby does not hide in the sand anymore nice the Pistol died after treatment with Interceptor, he hides beneath rocks and rubble so I figure this would work out fine.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

My wife said I was crazy when I put a small Tupperwate container in the frag tank, and told her that was where the Wrasse was going to sleep. It also makes it extremely easy to get the Wrasse out of the tank when you need to. Just put the lid on at night. There are a lot of hidden advantages to bb, Cheryl. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Exactly.

And OMG what a mess the sand bed was dirty!!!!!!! And the SB was not that old. The first time I took out the sand and replaced it what a nightmare of mud.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse Astrea Snail

Even though the tank is bare bottom it looks great.

1 person likes this.
  11. Corailline

Thank you Eclipse, once it purples up again and more corals get moved in it will start to take shape again. :)

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Video is in photobucket which is appreciated

for some reason it is not opening for me? I will keep trying

Aiptasia are a menace
    I feel your pain in that respect, as I went through a similar battle myself recently

tried Aiptasia X, Kalkwasser and even direct vinegar injecting
    all I can say is that whilst all the above methods have proven effective for countless numbers of people, I found that I was not particularly good at any of them
    and all I achieved was to make the problem far worse than it had been

you start with a dozen or so, you succesfully eradicate 3 of them, the other 9 panic and you end up with 30 or so mini ones
    you try and deal with them, and end up with 120 mini ones

I found a solution to my problem and cannot see any now in my set up
    I am not sure they are gone, I think it is more likely they are hiding from the copper striped Aiptasia remover.

not an option in your set up I appreciate
    but for the larger set ups that can accomodate them
    definitely the most succesful of all the methods I have tried, and they look nicer than kalkwasser patches

Steve