Chemistry Is Hard

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mdbostwick, Mar 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Agreed but unfortunately there are very few things we actually understand .Love that you are asking tons of questions.So many think they can just experiment with these animals like theres an endless supply.I make it a point to try and purchase aquacultured animals.
    ;)

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

the red algae on the rocks is getting stringy. I don't know if that means it is some other kind of algae or not and there is also a little that is green. I noticed it wasn't really very visible in the pictures.

With that said, would you still recommend a blackout for a few days or just wait and see how the snails work? It seems in places the algae is stringy they haven't been eating.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I wouldnt do a blackout. This is normal IMO. Let your CUC do there job. Use a toothbrush and or turkey baster to remove some of the algae.

Edit: I'd increase water changes to every couple of weeks.

6. mdbostwick

Now I am having a difference in opinions on the WCs.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I do water changes 15% every two weeks. Opinions vary wildly. I do it to replenish trace elements. Nothing scientific it's a just incase thing for me.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

This is the basis for me as well up to this point. But it is no secret, WCs are a pain. If i am wasting my time i am disappointed. It seems i will be getting some frags tomorrow, so I am thinking at this point it should be a routine. If i have a routine to stick with i am more likely to do them when I should. The only things i have that i can dose with at this point is kh, cal, Mg. So WC should take care of most other trace minerals as well?

Sorry about all the questions. I am not trying to point out that someone is wrong or anything, there is no exact answer so I am just trying to get perspectives from seasoned reefers.

10. civiccars2003

Water changes will take care of all the trace minerals including kh, cal, Mg. No need to dose at this point. When your tank gets mature and the coral absorb more minerals, then you need to suppliment.

Routine is the key. I have never dosed anything. I think my 55 was successful because I never missed a water change the 3.5 yrs it was running. FYI, I did 5 gallons once a week.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not think you can go wrong with a 10% wc bi-monthly to monthly. If you do not want to dose and you want to get into keeping larger colonies or more colonies of stony corals then water changes are a nice alternative.

I have seen some stunning tanks that do not do water changes, but I have seen a lot more sickly looking tanks that do not do water changes.

There are no hard and fast rules, whatever works for you and your tank.

12. civiccars2003

Yuppers