Chemistry Is Hard

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mdbostwick, Mar 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agree with others, with no corals, you don't need to be testing/dosing elements.

For the algae issue, what lighting do you have and how long do you run it each day? With a fish-only tank, you can leave the DT lights off for a few days and just run the fuge light. That will help kill off the nuisance algae and allow your macro to take over nutrient control. (FTR, some don't run supplemental lighting at all on their FO systems). I will suggest vacuuming out the algae as it dies off; otherwise it will create even more nutrients.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Atmospheric conditions also play a role.If you have your windows closed and the heat/ac on o2 levels can drop causing lower alkalinity and ph.
    Some people run the venturi air line outside to bring in some fresh air.

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have 4 new Ati t5s. It is FOWLR right now but hopefully not for long. the lights run 12 hrs and my fuge light is always on.

Should I cut the DT lights for a few days? or Any other suggestions?

What Mg test should i run, if you have a suggestion? or any particular to stay away from?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Cut your lighting schedule back to nine hours max.If you are having algae issues blackout the tank for a few days.Salifert kits are very accurate ime.

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I wouldnt put a lot of thought and effort into chemistry at this juncture. You will rack your brain and get really frusturated with dialing in these numbers. With such a new tank, just take things slow. When problems do occur, we can address them one at a time and get a solution for you. My old 55 thread is very similar to your build. Take some time to read thru it, I think it will help.

7. mdbostwick

so never more than nine hours? I have heard ofpeople running the fuge lights all the time, which is what i have been doing. Any advice in that area?

Is there any indication as to how long i should black out the DT? or just do about 3 days?

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

I will give that thread a read. For the most part I am trying to make sure I am ready to introduce some coral in my tank. I really hate buying things that die for reasons I don't understand, especially when I could have prevented it with just a little more knowledge.

10. Vinnyboombatz

I always run my fuge light opposite the dt lights.Keeps ph from dropping so much at night.Never ran one 24/7. Algae is necessary on reefs.It helps control a multitude of water parameters. Take pics of the tank if you haven't already so we can see how bad it is.9 hours is more then enough.

11. mdbostwick

[​IMG]
    Left
    [​IMG]
    Center
    [​IMG]
    Right

There is also a full shot on my build thread but these are closer up

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Looks perfectly fine at this stage. No worries.