CHEMI-CLEAN

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by hottielover14, Oct 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

I've heard of chemi clean but never tried it. I'm having a red cyno problem and i just bought a 6 stage RO/DI filter and have done a 16 gal. water change. I still have red cyno i've had it for about 3 months. I hate it it's so ugly and nasty. I've tried everything increased water circulation, i have new bulbs, and done water changes. I just want to know does this work and has anybody used it before.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Iv never even seen that? looks like some sort of Pharm. medication. Do you have any turbo snails? I put 1 big one in my tank and he is eating it like crazy!

4. hottielover14

snails don't eat cyno. it's red bacteria. It's used to get rid of cyno in aquariums. I've heard it works but i just wanted to see if anybody else had used it.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i have used it many times on tanks that i take care of(both reef and all fish) but it doesn't work as fast as marycyn, but it does work, be sure to turn your skimmer off as it will pull the chemi clean out of the water. chemi clean is made by the same people that make chemi pure, dick boyd

6. hottielover14

does marycyn work and is it safe for reefs. how long does chemi clean take to work. how much does it cost.

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

snails eat algae not cyano. mine go wild eating hair algae. you can siphon cyano out. be careful with additives and medication. good luck!
    ;)

8. Click Here!

9. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

yes, you can use marycyn in a reef, it is a gram positive anti biotic the bacteria we want in our reef are mostly gram negitive, that being said, it is still an anti biotic so it may stress the bacteria bed but it wont kill it like marycyn 2 will. the down part of using marycyn is you have to shut down your skimmer as it will go crazy with marycyn in the tank, depending on how good your skimmer is you may have to have it off for a while. other than that i have used marycyn in my reef on occasion when needed and other than the skimmer thing i have had no problem with it.

10. hottielover14

how fast do u think it will take the cyno away.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Product;num=1096841461;start=0#0 date=10/03/04 at 15:11:00]I've heard of chemi clean but never tried it. I'm having a red cyno problem and i just bought a 6 stage RO/DI filter and have done a 16 gal. water change. I still have red cyno i've had it for about 3 months. I hate it it's so ugly and nasty. I've tried everything increased water circulation, i have new bulbs, and done water changes. I just want to know does this work and has anybody used it before.[/quote]

Hi HL14,

There is a good article here on Cyano

http://ozreef.org/content/view/26/2/

It tells of the dangers of using chemical treatments to combat Cyano and is worth reading. I know it's a difficult condition to overcome, but the answer (IMHO) lies in perseverence. Get a big turkey baster and blast the stuff every day while syphoning or with a cannister filter running. You may have to do this for quite a while but you will win in the end.

John