Check Your Refugium Light For Corrosion

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This is an alert for those of you like me with an exposed refugium light that is not enclosed in glass and that may be as close to the water as safely possible. A couple nights ago I saw something rather disturbing - my refugium light was flickering. Upon closer inspection, my eyes really opened when I discovered my bulb cap was very corroded with rust. I was just cleaning the lens prior and thought that was enough. Apparently not.

[​IMG]

An expensive LED bulb, trashed. I quickly scrambled and set up another fixture with a curly bulb from the hardware store. And this time, I wrapped electrical tape around the bulb and socket.

[​IMG]

Perhaps a compound like dolphonite would be best, but this should do for now. I will be inspecting this more often. What would you use? Is there a solvent that could repair my old bulb and socket? I want to hear from you.

And check your refugium light for corrosion! :shocked:

matt

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Clean it with CLR Calcium Lime Rust remover. I had my MH that would get like that and that will clean it up. Then you can put bulb grease from the auto parts store to prevent future corrosion.

zesty and Matt Rogers like this.
  4. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Oh wow. I just ordered this light last night from reef breeders. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No problem sir! I thought I should raise the flag on this.

You rock Rolo! I was hoping there was something like that. I will get both of those soon. Cheers! :beer:

Truth be told I will save that LED for something else. It was not the best for growing chaeto. Those 6500k 23w curly daylight bulbs work best for me.

matt

RoloSaez likes this.
  6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Scotch Bright, and then grease it as mentioned

Matt Rogers likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Your welcome. As far as a light I did have the twisty one that worked really well for me. Then I acquired an LED from MarineLand that worked really well for me.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It's CFL bulbs for me. I'm having too much success to switch.

I PAR metered them.
    Each light was putting out 400 PAR about 1-2" under the water surface.

Good find on the corrosion Matt.

As a side note, now that I sail almost all fresh water on my Catamaran here in WI, my boat has zero corrosion, and I never have to fresh water rinse it after a day of sailing.
    That SW will corrode anything. It will corrode the corrosion!

10. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Oh no, now after I buy that light, I'm reading your comments on better lights...ugh darn, $80 gone...

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

You got water proof lights? LOL Just Kidding.

Use it as a spotlight for your favorite coral.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah I love those bulbs. And I hear you about the SW boat issues. Mine has been sitting for some time until recently and awful things happened. Best way to kill a boat is to let it sit there. I need some hobbies that don't require maintenance! :lol: