Check Valve Banging

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Will0417, Sep 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

I installed a new check valve on my 150 gal reef tank but when I kill the return pump all i get is banging. In fact, my sump will still over-flow. It just takes longer.... I can, feed my fish but I have to kink my return hose until the check valve works. What the hell??? I cant think of any reason why the check valve will work when I kink the hose but not normally.

Any thoughts of how to fix this? It is really pissing me off.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

can you post a pic of the check valve installed?

4. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

pictures

Here are pictures. It is a 1 1/4 inch check valve attached to 3/4 inch flex hose. I didnt want to skimp on a check valve or restrict the flow of my mag 12.

Attached Files:

5. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

can you take a picture of your plumbing in the tank>
    and do you have a anti-siphon hole drilled? if you do, then there is no need for a checkvalve. (plus, most dont work. they get slimey and quit sealing, or they have a spring and the spring will rust and quit working......)

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Why do you have a check valve in the first place? A properly designed and constructed return line should never ever need either a check valve or drilled holes since both are a false sense of security and prone to failure.
    Keep your returns close to the surface so a very slight, easily calculated amount of water flows back to the sump before the return is exposed to atmosphere and the siphon breaks. Keep that amount of spare room in the sump at all times and flooding is never a worry. Nothing beats an air gap, nothing defeats an air gap and they do not require any cleaning or maintenance like the first two. even with cleaning both can and do fail, its not a matter of if but when and thats usually when you are away or asleep.

In my case I have a 100G display and a 30G sump. The returns are 3/4" below thesurface so only that amount can possibly flow back and that amounts to about 3.5 gallons of water so I always keep that amount of freeboard in the sump. Actually my skimmer works best if I keep about 8-10 gallons of spare rooms so I have plenty to spare.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

+1. My return line has its output at the same level as my overflow box, so it will only return the amount that the overflow box will drain anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I agree with the Posts above but being in the commercial dive industry we use check valves on a lot of our equipment especially our dive hats and when the valve is leaking by and or making noise it's time for a new check valve.

1 person likes this.
  10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Thinking about this, I think I know exactly what your problem is with the valve, beyond totally not needing it.

Did you make sure that there was still water running out of your return line when you kinked it?

11. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

This is an old question but I think my problem was not having the check valve high enough and using too large a diameter of check valve. probably worn too.

PS. I for one, Like my check valve for feeding time and as an extra precaution. Why drain water back into the sump? My sump does my mechanical filtration and a backflow is counter-productive, not to mention skimmer water level issues.

I didnt always have a check valve but now that I do I would never have a tank without one