cheato question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by grinder37, Sep 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Is cheato just as effective in the display tank as it is in a refugium,aside from ph swings,does it consume nutrients as efficiently as a refuge??If not,why?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't see why it wouldn't grow just as well in the DT, other than having a lower k rating bulb in the fuge may make it more effective. I have heard of people putting cheato boxes in their DT. I don't know of a reason why it wouldn't absorb nutrients just as well. Wouldn't be very attractive though...

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

Thanks Jim,i'm not too worried about it's appearence as i have it stuffed behind the rocks,but where it gets good light and it's a med to low flow area as well.I figure,if it grows,it's consuming?I just got it the other day and will be making a refuge mod to my filter basket on my cube,just haven't got to it yet,so for now it's in the main tank.

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

One of the LFS I visit has a big cheato ball back in a corner and it doesnt look bad IMPO. if you dont mind how it would look I would say go for it.

1 person likes this.
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I put mine in my overflow - works well.

1 person likes this.
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

As long as it gets a bit of flow and enough light, it doesn't matter where the chaeto is. Using a refugium mainly keeps it out of the tank, where it can look bad. It can also let you run it on a reverse schedule from the DT, which helps with pH swings.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

Thanks everyone,it's actually in a pocket behind the rocks,almost trapped in place and can be hardly seen,so i'm just thinking about leaving there and scratch the whole ref idea, it does have fair flow all around(my korolia nano is pointed in somewhat it's direction.)So i'll just see how it goes.Thanks all!