Cheap and effective acropora dip

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by BTowned, Apr 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

Out of all the known pests MEN...Montipora Eating Nudibranches are the toughest to eradicate. There isn't really even a safe dip for these pests. I have used Potassium Permanganate with some good results, but I've also killed coral using it. The only real effective in tank treatment is Interceptor for redbugs. Red bugs like to target acropora, tri colors and smooth skinned acros are supposed favorites, but they will target any acropora.

Rundown: It's best to inspect and dip all incoming coral. It's also a good idea to remove any rock or plug the coral is glued to. This is mainly because these pests like to lay their eggs in the crevices at the base of the coral. It's also a good idea to remove the plug because this is the number one way most of us introduce things like aiptasia, valonia etc.....

I originally decided to look into using the insecticide because interceptor is tough to find sometimes. And the dip is 5-6 hours long, and that can be really stressful for a coral that was just shipped. I also wanted to see if it was effective on other pests. I just happened to find a coral with AEFW at my LFS, and Home Depot was on the way home.

2. Click Here!

3. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Thanks for the info!

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ignore this advice at your own peril. To tell you how much I believe in this, if I took a coral home from the shop......one I cared for during the day.....I STILL DIPPED IT. Here is why. One can prophylactically treat all incoming shipments. One can do dips on a timed schedule and in addition, do on an "as needed" basis. In spite of trying your best, it can still happen and my days at LFS's were BUSY. Out of a typical 12 hour workday, I maybe sat 5 minutes and I might have taken another 5 minutes to shove something down my throat. The diligent work of several employees can be undone in 2 seconds by another employee who made a mistake (or just doesn't care).

DIP YOUR CORALS!!! (While I'm on the subject, QT your fish too!!)

1 person likes this.