changing over

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by garfieldlover74, Dec 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. garfieldlover74

garfieldlover74 Astrea Snail

i have a 150 gallon salt water tank,how hard would it be to change it over to freshwater,have a skimmer to large power heads heater and a 72 inch metal halide,would it be hard to clean it out with a tank this big and also have 2 overflows inside the tank,thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It wouldn't be hard at all. Just clean it out with some bleach. The skimmer won't work but the power heads should be good for some circulation.

4. garfieldlover74

thank you for the advice

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Yea skimmer wont work and you probably wont need a heater if you have MH, ik freshys dont like water that warm. Also power heads will be good for movement but id make sure they are pointed at the waters surface!

6. garfieldlover74

ok thankyou all why dont you need a skimmer for freshwater. i have a wetdry filter under my tank would it be better to use a canister filter for a freshwater and also going to try and sell my metal halide light.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

A protein skimmer will not suffice for a freshwater tank as you need salt to create the foammy froth that attaches itself to detritus and other organic and inorganic matter, without getting to technical, hope that helps.
    Now, as for the switching over from salt to freshwater, it isn't very difficult.
    Time will be your biggest issue. Removing all the sand, rock, livestock and uneccessary equipment such as protein skimmer, sump, refugium, calcium reactors etc. if you have them.
    Taking the time to clean the equipment as well as your tank will be time consuming but important for storage/selling and/or reusing in the future.
    Washing with vinegar and bleach and rinsing thoroughly with freshwater will help to clean your tank and equipment.
    Metal halide lights are not needed for a freshwater tank, unless you plan on growing and maintaining live plants(CO2 reactors work well for them also). Halide lights are hot, will heat your water and also strain your electric bill. Now for an aquarist with a reef tank, halides are very beneficial, but T-5's and standard fluorescent bulb fixtures, will more than suffice.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    As is the case with saltwater aquariums, make sure you go slow and read up on compatibility and husbandry requirements of each individual fish for their health and success in a captive environment as well as the enjoyment you can expect to receive.

8. Click Here!

9. garfieldlover74

thanks again i need all the help i can get.

10. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

keep the wet/dry for the fresh tank, better than a canister