Changing from black sand to white

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Shackman23, Jan 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

do you have any pictures?? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Wouldn't be bad to rinse it. If it were me, I'd make up about 10-20gallons of water and rougly match the temp to the tank water. Put about 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. get a big filterpad, put it over another 5 gallon bucket. scoup out a couple cups of sand put it in the first 5 gallon bucket. swirl it around good. dump the water (not the sand lol) through the filter pad, into the second bucket. Then add the sand to the new tank. Keep repeating.... Every once and a while you can replace the 2.5 gallons of rinse water with fresh saltwater.

I'd probably just mix it in with my hand, but if you don't want to stir up sand just put it on top. Every day or even every few hours, you could just gently run your fingers through it. That shouldn't stir it up much and will help mix it in faster.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Also I didn't catch how deep the sand is in the JBJcube. If it's a DSB, you may want to sweep the top layer into a corner, with your hand or something. Then scoop that up. If shallow, you probably don't have to worry.

5. Shackman23

Its only about 3-4 inches in the biocube but i did just have a power head fall and it stirred up everything in there so if there was anything, im good to go now...

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well, that works ;D Also, I don't know if your familiar with the pvc trick. When you pour sand into the new tank, a lot of people pour it down a pvc pipe. This keeps it from clouding the water as much.

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

That sounds like a neat trick ill have to try it thinking about increasing my sandbed by 1"-2"

8. Click Here!

9. Shackman23

im going to try that for sure, im doing it tomorrow, so ill keep everyone updated on here!! Thanks!

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

+1..do this dude when you change it..i will never set up a new tank or add sand without using this method..works perfectly..

12. Shackman23

thanks for the heads up guys!! what size pvc should i use?? do you think 2 in. would suffice?