Changing Crushed Coral for Fiji Pink

Discussion in 'Sand' started by RoloSaez, Sep 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

New Lights coming. Planning on doing a remote refugium. I also want to take out this crushed coral and replace it with Fiji Pink sand. I know we can't remove it all at once. So I was thinking of doing 1/3 at a time between water changes over a months time. In the aquarium you have two engineer gobies, maroon clown, anemone, hi hat, and a two green chromic, GSP, clove polyp, oh and a sixtine wrasse. Taking the slow approach so I don't mess up water parameters to bad. Any other advice or thoughts welcome.

IMG_4406.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

How established is your tank?

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I've changed sand before in a 2 year old system, just do sections at a time. I'd say a week between sections in ample time.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Removing the CC will have no effect on parameters. I stir mine on occasion; my corals and featherdusters love the detritus storm. :D You might want to vacuum first if you haven't been doing so as a part of your routine maintenance.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    DSC reef likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree with Mr bill rolo. I stir my sand beds frequently and boy do the polyps come out. Give it a good vacuum then replace. Your gonna like the fiji pink

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Tanks about 7 years old. I have engineer gobies that make a mess all the time. I also stir up the sand all the time. So I should be good. I'm making water so I can do part of it this weekend. Getting nervous about my lights though. Can't get ahold of them. I can't wait till I have it set up the way I want it. Looking forward to the new lights and sand.

Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Can't wait to see it man

10. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

The process begins. image.jpg

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

12. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

image.jpg Glad I have a powerful skimmer. cleaned the cup three times last night. Took a chance and removed it all at once to avoid shocking the system multiple times. I scooped all the sand out with a beach toy sand sifter. ran through four filter socks. On the 5th one now. have all the rock on one side so I can vacuum out the rest of the crud and clean the glass. All fish are happy the water cleared over night. Now I'll do a water change later this evening. Set up the aquascape and let everything settle for a week or two before any other changes. My lights should be here by then.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014