Changing all my rock to get rid of algae once and or all!!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by TheSurgeonSween, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Yes I totally agree with all of you! But I have tried everything I can find to control my red wiry algae. Nothing has worked and now I'm desperate to get rid of it. I have checked my ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and ph and it's all perfect! My lights are only on for about 5 hours per day and I have a protein skimmer. I don't know what else there is to do at this point. Also I would really just like to get a new aqauscape anyways and rearrange my corals.

I am running power compact lighting but I would like to upgrade to LEDS very soon

2. Click Here!

3. TheSurgeonSween

I also use the synthetic water from the LFS and do a 5g water change every 2 wks

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

How old is your tank?

5. TheSurgeonSween

6. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Maybe you have a lot of phosphate in the water? Agree with everyone else, it will keep coming back until you reduce what's feeding it.

7. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i know what your going through imo the red stuff came in from some source into the tank and once it gets going its hard to get rid of in a nano tank because the tank is to small for the fish that eat the red algae like the yellow and sailfin tangs i to have a problem with it in my 50g square tank so, your forced to control water quality and feedings to keep it from taking over and imo most will lose this battle also. you may be able to rid it in a brand new set up as long as its not introduced again.
    now that being said this has worked for me and its not that costly, if i wanted to rid it i woud buy 300 plus blue leg crabs for the 29g nano they will eat red hair algae but the you must buy the baby's the micro blue legs are ferocious eaters but it will take many to do the job and when its gone give away what you don't need.;)

8. Click Here!

9. TheSurgeonSween

How would I remove phosphates? And yes I need to get more blue leg crabs!

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i got gfo and a small reactor a phosban and it helps but once red hair is in the tank its hard to starve it out.

11. TheSurgeonSween

Well I don't have the money or room for a phosphate reactor. What else can I do. I'm almost positive I want to change all the rocks and when I do I'll add a good clean up crew. Is there anything else I can do so my algae starts to go away? I'm thinking weekly 5g water changes too

12. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

If you dont have the money for a phosphate reacter how are you going to have money for all the rock? a TLF reactor with pump would be about the same price as 30lbs baserock.

Also adding 30lbs of baserock to the tank will prob leach phosphate and nitrates into the water causing an even worse outbreak of algae. I kniw the tang police will shun me, but would it be possible to get a yellowtang or something to place in your tank for a couple months ( a juvie of course now an adult) and after he eats all the algae rehoming him to a friend or lfs?