Changes out the Deep sand bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by suckafish, Mar 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

HAHAHA, I know exactly what you mean with the nasty smell and the yellowish brown water... Brought back old memories when I tore down an old fowlr tank that had a deep sand bed... I went in there with a child beach shovel and worked that sand for hours... NEVER AGAIN! The smell was unbearable and took forever to clean... I ended up throwing away all the sand though... I understand your troubles lol

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Hate to dig up an oldie, but how are your critters doing? I'm about to swap out my CC aragonite with sand. Figured I'd do it your way.

4. bigtankreefer

bigtankreefer Plankton

deep sand bed

I have three little baby sand sifter star fish in my reef tank. They keep my sand very clean and if i notice them moving a lot looking for food i just pik them up and place them on a piece of algae wafer to keep them full and happy. I have never had a problem with them disturbing my rocks or corals. I think that as long as I keep them full they will not be a harm to my tank. That might be an inexpensive way to keep the the sand mixed up and clean since they are always sifting throuigh the dirty sand. Don't buy large adults just so that you can get young ones that will be less intrusive in the tank. You will rarely see them anyways since they stay deep in the sand most of the time. I just love to watch them come up out of the sand move down the tank a little and then just sink down and dissapear into the sand like magic again. They move so effortlesly and smoothly.

5. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

ya did every thing go good?

6. RizzayDJ

RizzayDJ Plankton

I think I am going to proceed with removing a goodly portion of my sand bed (approx. 4") based on what I have read here. I see algae and bubbles trapped within it similar to what suckafishtankcleaning experienced. I am wondering if it is possible to leave my live rock, coral, and fish in the tank during the cleaning. I have two Pentair cartridges I can hook up with carbon and filter during the process to help clean the water. I also have a 10 Ga. fuge set up now with DSB to battle release of nitro pockets.

Would it work to take out a 1/2 inch or inch a week for a couple weeks rather than a breakdown and scoop?

Maybe those of us who have done\will do a breakdown can list our experience in a Sticky for those who follow in our footsteps. It seems a popular topic now.

I apologize for the thread hijack, I was hoping to get all who commented on board with creating a sand bed break-down process.