Change in plans! Aqua Illumination Sol Led worth it?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by duoc9119, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yeah, you may have to go 4. My frien has one stock 5" AWL and it is like a spotlight near the top, but it spreads probably 3" either way as you go down. His tank is 36" deep.

2. Click Here!

3. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think I will be going with 1 first and build a nice coral island on one side of the tank first. Then get the other fixture for the other island when I run out of room on island one.

Would this work? After one has been running couldn't I just add another one later on with the data cable when I'm ready? Would it effect the controller? As in I would have to go in and re-enter the controller settings for the newly added fixture.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Not a problem at all. Just plug in the new one and it will work all the same!

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

We just installed a single AI Sol Blue on my wife's 60 cube. It looks awesome. Its visually more light than the t5's that were on there. With an LED, that likely means its a lot more. Two AI's on a 40 is perfect, just because of the shape requiring a second for coverage.

6. duoc9119

Awesome! I am wondering if I can get some steel bars to put together and hang the rail system above the tank instead of using the legs. Maybe mock something up similar to what Current has for their fixture. Just two bars coming off the back of the stand to allow you to hang your lights.

After looking at the videos I would like a better clearance between water and light to make maintenance easier and avoid using a top.

7. duoc9119

I'm sure if I just had one big island in the middle of the tank I could get away with one. But I have two islands. ;D It gives more room for fish to swim freely and it kind of replicates that distance between coral reefs where it is just sand.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

12" gives you excellent coverage, I felt 6" was too close and why they have to recommend so many fixtures for coverage.
    I have posted pics in several threads showing the coverage at 12" and how you can see light striking the back and sides of my canopy at that distance.

10. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

Man I really only want to get 3, but I don't want to ditch my canopy either! ugh

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Can you raise the canopy? Maybe install some trim pieces top and bottom which makes it higher without looking out of place?

12. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Yep, thats exactly the difference between her and my tank. She has a central island and has one light working well over a 60. I have two islands and I have 2 AI Sol's over my 57 rimless. Two will work very well for you.