chalice/favid coral help!!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by billyboy2, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks more like tissue regression to me not melting. Which is usually a slow process. Consider dipping the coral.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I did purchaces some Iodine when 2in10 had suggested it earlier, I will give it a go, 15-20 drops per litre of SW or FW? i would assume SW but just asking cause i've never done this before. also how long should I dip? Is there a reason the coral started doing this once in my tank? iodine is for like bacterial infections so I have a larger problem with my water that i cant test for?

I'm late for work now so I need to run. Can someone explain in more than needed detail how this procedure is done? does it matter the time of day its done? planning to do it after work with lights out..

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

SW always. Rinse thoroughy in another liter of SW.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

SW, as stated.

And yes, you are correct in your thoughts. You'd be treating for something unknown that you cannot test for.

6. billyboy2

so one last question...I didn't get iodine for fragging I didn't realize there is a type for dosing. Can this be purchased at a drug store or what specifically am I wanting to get for this? Pure Iodine? Can I find the stuff I need at a pharmacy or just my LFS??

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The fragging type you can get at a LFS. It's called Lugol's, or just Iodine dip. I think you can use the variety from a pharmacy too, but I'm not sure if you can and whether the dosing is different.

8. Click Here!

9. billyboy2

hmmm...i really need to find out if the pharmacy type iodine will work for the dip. Where i'm living in the world there are 3 LFS's to shop at...2 of em don't carry the stuff for sure and the third closed for the long weekend here and wont open again until Tuesday. I'm going to research it as much as I can but hopefully someone will chime in with good experiences using generic Iodine.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Tincture of iodine works great. 15 to 20 drops to a liter of water. I have used it successfully on an Acropora with RTN that the vendor declared a goner. I was able to save a small frag. I have used successfully on LPS and zoas also.

11. billyboy2

I dont know what a "tincture" is...where can it be purchased?? specific brands??

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You should find it in a drug store, just ask a clerk for it. The store brand will be fine.

1 person likes this.