Chalice coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by jhawkor, Jul 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

I'm thinking about picking up a chalice and I have a few questions about them. Will they be OK under 4x65 watt PC's? Do they need to be fed? How fast do they grow? Where is a good place to buy one? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I know a lot about them before I get one, Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

1. I dont think you have enough lighting for them. If you still want to give it a try, I recommend to place it as high as you can.

2. I dont feed mine other than Marine Snow and Selcon

3. They can grow fast if under the right conditions. I have one that has grown nicely, but I keep my Cal @ 500ppm, Dkh @ 15ppm and Mag @1500ppm.

4.Try one of our sponsers.

5. Do more research before you buy one. A well educated reefer is a happy reefer;)

[SCROLL]Luna[/SCROLL]

4. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Thanks Luna, you really don't think the lighting is enough I thought they liked low light?

5. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Gotta disagree with #1, most of the chalices that I have had are MUCH happier under lower lighting usually shaded in slower flow. I have seen a couple that enjoy super high light, but they really are one of the corals you have to feel out in placement.

#5's spot on, though :)

6. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Don't worry about the more research thing it will be at least a couple weeks before I get one so I'll have plenty of time to research:)

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I used to have this particular(sp) Chalice close to the bottom for a few months and it didnt even grow enough to see a difference. The min. I place him near the top, he has grown nicely. BTW I have (2) 250w MH @ 20K and (2) 96w actinics.

Luna

8. Click Here!

9. z.vernon

z.vernon Bristle Worm

from what ive heard they do well in a mostly shady area, like under a rock, away from a majority of light.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yeah, you guys are right about the lighting conditions, but the one that I have must be the exception to the rule.....lol Its not recommeded for the beginner thou. Good luck with it. Luna

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Ok I have currently 8 different types of chalice. All of them are on the bottom of my tank, and all are doing very well. I have them placed under little ledges in my rock work. You have plenty of light to keep them. If kept under too much light they will turn brown. They are NOT for beginners tho as they are very sensative to ph swings, temp changes, and so forth. Good luck

12. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

yeah I love the chalices as for lighting indirect lighting is best for most chalices some do like alot of light but most will benifit under a ledge or on the bottom of the tank. you will need to dose mag as they will gobble it all up..... they like dirty waters not as pristine as sps. ph alk will have to be as stable as possible. I am a fan of them now after I killed my first one back 8 months ago. now I have 4 in my tank and picking up 4 more this weekend. for a great price @ that!!!!! the pointer the tips are the harder I was told they are to keep. Mod flow low light and ask where they had it placed in there tank and what lights.