Chaeto's Required Flow

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Da_Gopherboy, Aug 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you find that Chaeto grows better in high flow or lower flow?

1. High Flow

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Lower Flow

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

I've read so many articles and heard so many different opinions. I personally can't tell if chaeto will grow faster tumbling or in a medium to low flow area (have done both). So my fellow 3reefers, in your own experiences have you seen chaeto growth be better under high or low flow conditions?

(Always been using 2700k plant lights to keep the growth going as well, as they seem to produce better)

2. Click Here!

3. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

well alot of people have refugiums and keep a hole mess load of chaeto in them...and its pretty calm in a refugium so i dont think that they need to be in a high flow state...i think its more of a light issue. I mite be wroung can someone correct me if i am thanx

-tony

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

mine grows like crazy and I just have it in the first chamber of my sump

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Astrea Snail

I have a refuguim with cheato and the only flow i have in there is the water entering from the pump in my sump which is 1100l/h which is nothing so im not sure about the high flow of cheato would be interested to know tho

6. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I've had chaeto growing in a partition in my sump with about 600 gph flowing through a 20 gallon tank and its done fine. I now have it in a 10 gallon fuge with about 1 to 200 gph flowing through it and its growing fine. I havent been able to tell the difference in growth rate.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What makes Cheato so great is that they will do great in just about any flow and can be grown under 24/7 lighting. I personally have it under high flow and reverse lighting. You may want to "beef-up" your K-rating to 5500-6500k rated bulbs. 2700k seems low to me.

Luna

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I am not voting, cause I really dont know. I have run both and don't really notice a difference either way.

10. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

I can't believe that the poll is almost a 50/50 split. I suppose it doesn't really matter since its growing eitherway. But it would be nice to know how to increase the efficency of its growth. :)

11. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

mine is in medium to high flow
    its growing under a spiral 6500k light

I'm trimming it all the time witch leads me to believe its growing good
    and when i trim it, i trim it waaaay back
    i gave packleader a ginourmous chunk (grapefruit sized or more) and not a spread out stretched out piece it was packed, because it grows in the back of my biocube

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

it grows in either, (only low in nature- protected coves etc..), in a high flow environment you get more compact growth, which should be spread out to get the best efficiency from your light, in low flow it spreads more but may suffer from detritus buildup. I really use the term flow to mean velocity...4 20gph pumps have the same flow but less velocity than 1 80gph pump etc...