Chaeto in a small box inside tank?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by We$, Sep 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I guess I know what I'll be going for my next (small) DIY project. thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Ditto, this will be my 1st DIY. If you want to share ideas with a rookie like me I'm up for it.

4. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

Lol hi jack away, I already built my little in tank refugium out of a netted box originally for keeping new baby fish in. I just put a handful of chaeto in it, we'll see what happens. I plan on getting a 90 gal sometime and I'll probably do a real refugium on that.

Btw if you're looking into getting a skimmer, which I recommend, get a Aqua-C Remora HOB filter they're pretty good.

Edit: Don't get a Sea-Clone.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I was looking at the Aqua c or the CPR Bak-Pak 2R+

6. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

CPR stuff is good aswell

7. novahobbies

novahobbies Astrea Snail

Ditto, I did this on my 55g before I upgraded. You may need to put a little eggcrate grate over the return flow to keep stray chaeto strands in place but otherwise the aquaclear fuge is a great DIY project.

I've even seen people using those clear kitchen sponge holders that have suction cups as makeshift Chaeto holders in the main tank! Not pretty, but if it works, it works. However you end up, I'd recommend making sure you have some sort of flow through the chaeto. Point a powerhead at it or something. You want the water to be constantly moving through there at a gentle rate to help the algae grow and to move 'pods out into the DT.

8. Click Here!

9. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

Yea I think the net covered breeder boxes are better if you're hanging in the main tank they look nicer and hold more

10. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Well after doing my research on chaeto (I knew nothing about it till prolly 15 mins ago lol) I'm prolly gonna find me a breeder box and stuff me some in there. Possible dumb question, I should wait till after my tank cycles and "calms" down before I put it in there correct?

11. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

I didnt, I started getting a bunch of GHA on the rocks and some walls and diatoms in the substrate and I got a team of Turbo grazing snails, Asteria snails, hermits, and a fighting conch on it right away. As well as putting the Chaeto in there this afternoon. It cant hurt to get on it early.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yes, for two reasons. The first is that you need a fish to get it the nutrients it needs regularly. The second is that algaes tend to use ammonia, so you might not build up a full bacterial colony if you have algae taking it before it's processed into nitrates.