caulerpa treatment?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by reef_guru, Feb 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

to get rid of pests prior to introducing new items in the main tank we use:
    50/50 bleach for live rock
    lugol's for coral
    copper for most fish

what can be used for caulerpa?

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i blast my chaetto clean every month with my garden hose to keep it clean and healthy.i did it when i 1st got it and carefully inspected it in a bucket of fresh water and pulled off a cpl aiptasia and got some red algae from it and the fresh water will kill alot of the bad things.i have never tried it with caulerpa and idk if it would hurt it

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I'd love to find something that would do the trick. There is suppose to be a new product that kills macroalgaes. I only know one person who used it, and it killed his caulerpa, bryopsis and chaeto. He got it for bryopsis. Its Algaefix for Marine by API.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

ziggy:
    the idea of this thread is to rid apatasia, flat worms, and all other pests prior to introducing the calulerpa into the system. would a fresh water wash prior rid of all pests and not hurt the caulerpa?

for those of us that dont want to introduce pests into the tank, it seems the refugium is the way in for now. unless someone has a magical method

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

For real?

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

but does it rid of pests?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm sure that it doesn't. Most likely it will kill your macro algae if it's an algaecide.

I honestly don't know any way to avoid bringing pests into your system via the addition of macro algae. I would think that the best you could do is maybe use one of the coral dipping products like Revive and some serious "swishing" of the macro in buckets of salt water.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

yes for real!

The downside is you gotta make sure you get the dead stuff out cause after you do your water changes to get the algacide out of your tank, there will be a nice little cycle from all the dead algaes. He said hes now dealing with a hair algae issue. I asked if he removed all the dead/decaying stuff and he not all of it. lol and I said thats whats feeding the hair algae!!! So yeah, Im going to try this stuff soon if I remember to pick some up.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Thanks Geeky. I'll PM you with other questions so that we don't derail RG's thread :D

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

ok then put the max treatment times 4 of flatworm exit in a bucket and soak for a few minutes.anything it does'nt kill will be paralized and fall to the bottom of the bucket,even nudibranch, flatworms,bristle worms ,and star fish.you can use sw in the bucket.i think theres a dip made for corals and liverock that would work for your purpose but the name illudes me right now.