Caulerpa taxifolia

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by JohnO, Nov 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

The declaration of Caulerpa taxifolia as a noxious aquatic species in Victoria, Australia

Caulerpa taxifolia

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good move. It's really doing a number in the Mediterranean.

I am pretty paranoid about it as I live near the San Francisco Bay even though it's cold water. I've ripped a couple pieces off some rocks and put it in my freezer.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

It is interesting as I didn't realise that there was an invasive strain of the same algae developed for the hobby

quote:

A fast growing strain of Caulerpa taxifolia, originally developed for the aquarium trade, titled the 'aquarium' or 'invasive' strain, has invaded areas of New South Wales and South Australia. These populations were probably introduced through the release of an aquarium specimen, and spread through survival of small pieces of the species in things such as fishing nets and anchor ropes.

The invasive strain of Caulerpa taxifolia cannot be differentiated from the native type without complex genetic tests. The invasive strain has the potential (based on its known depth and temperature ranges, and invasive history) to spread over most Victorian marine waters if it were released in to the wild.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. jay

jay Guest

Matt,

My understanding is that it has already popped up along the west coast and that California has taken direct action against it. They are destroying it as soon as it is found by tarpping over the populations and pumping them full of chlorine gas. This seems to be the most effective course of action, though quite detrimental to other organisms as well.

John,

That sucks you guys have it down there now.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow! No way jay.. how'd they come up with that? [smiley=wreck.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jay,

Our local governments are fairly sensitive to environmental issues and the legislation is more a preventative measure. I'm sure the problem does exist in the local waters but in a small scale.

John