Carpet Anemone moving like crazy

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Scoffer, Sep 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Hi all. Just wanted to ask about this. Last night, my carpet, what my LFS said was a carpet An.,(had about a week now) started moving around, alot!

Turning upside down, crawling up rocks, all kinds of stuff. Now shes crawled under a rock and cant barely even be seen!!

any ideas about this crazy behavior?
    I'm gonna do a 20% water change today, before this big storm hits NE Florida.

Any suggestions on how to handle power down with a 75g tank ?? ( I have 2 boat batteries charged up and an invertor to power the pump in durations thoughout the power down time)

thanks for the 911 help!!!

Scoffer

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If the anemone has only been in the tank a week, it may still be trying to find it's happy place. Is it getting adequate lighting? Is the clown fish nuzzling it a bit too much? Have you fed it? Water tests ok?

The only other thing I can think of for keeping your tank safe during the storms is to pick up some battery powered air pumps and to freeze some bottles of r.o. water to float in the tank to prevent overheating. Good luck!

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

ummmm.lighting may be a bit of a problem...I'll get better lights after the storm (just using 2 48" Sunlight bulbs now.)

Nuzzling it?? the clown was staying inside it alot!!!rubbing it and covering up in it... :)

yes I fed it a couple of times, and the clown has been taking shrimp pellets I use and spitting them in it....I also fed it a little piece of a shrimp a couple of times.

water test ok..nitrates are a little high, which is why the water change was coming....

thanks

Scoffer

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Your Clarki is adding stress to the host.  This in addition to low lighting is not a good situation.  Watch it carefully and as soon as you can upgrade the lighting the better.

Anemones should be added first to a tank after a year of the tank being stabilized with good water parameters.  After it acclimates and finds its happy place, as amcaring stated, you can then add a clown who will then be hosted by a healthy non-stressed anemone.

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

thanks Craig.
    wow, funny thats the first Ive heard that. I try and study the creatures before buying, and feel good I know somewhat what to do. But seem to get proven dumb every time!! :) Well, he/she seems to have calmed down now. She dug a good hole in my argonate and is just sitting there now.

Btw, anyone know if this is a carpet, or a saddle an.? I think now its a saddle, the LFS said carpet....but they also said it was ok for my tank size and levels, and good to buy paired with the sabae clown(which you have informed me is a Clarki clown). im gonna post some photos of the anonome swimming around in the tank shortly!!

4 weeks after cycling, got some diatoms build up, (need to get some snails, turbo's?) , do you think I should do a water change, and if so how much %?

levels
    Ammonia .20
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 30-40
    temp 80
    salinity 1.021

7. Craig Manoukian

First off it would be great if you could edit your profile and include your tank set up information in your signature.  Makes it easier to diagnos and answer questions.

Your temp is good ,but you want your Specific Gravity to be 1.025 - 1.026 for a reef tank.

From your post I am assuming your tank is a little over a month old.  If that is the case, then you do not have a mature enough tank to be adding an anemone.  If your LFS knows this and is having you add livestock this fast you are being given bad information that is profit driven.

It is generally recommended you wait a year to add an anemone.  Low to moderate nitrates won't harm an anemone, but the ammonia can be lethal to it as well as your fish.  The ammonia spike is indicative of insufficient denitrification, which could be attributable to an immature tank, and will in time raise your nitrites which are lethal to invertabrates.

I'm not beating you up, but if my assumptions are correct you are adding too much livestock too quickly.  Just because the LFS says it's so doesn't mean it's gospel.  Their primary goal is to move inventory and make a profit.  My LFS sells all kinds of fish to the wrong people with the attitude it is the purchaser's responsibility to know better.  If you want it you can get it.

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

thanks again Craig. yeah Im going to aviod that LFS, I had credit with them, but they keep changing personel, and I believe now will tell the anything you want to hear. The seems to be one good LFS in Jacksonville, Fish Mania. The guys who runs/owns? it has already stopped me from buying stuff, telling me I didn't need it, or couldn't put the animal in the tank yet.

Unfortunately, hes 30-45 minutes away, where as the 5 minute away store has been fired!!!!

and Ill work on my Profile , and got to find me an avatar!! ( a baby in diapers!!! hehe )

Scoffer

10. Craig Manoukian

Sounds cool Scoffer, was a right on the age of your tank? What are the wattage and type of lights you are running?  How many of each light also.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

A Saddle is just another type of carpet ;)

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Wahoo !!! We just got a CoraLife Lunar Aqua Light today!!!

260 watts of light baby!!!!(2x10000k, 2x actinic 65 watt each)

and has the moon lights built in ...sweet....

any need a Home Depot gro flor. bulb??

hehe

hopefully , this will help the carpet and the whole tank. Instantly looks better than ever. And impulse shopping always feels the best.

Scoffer