Carnation's

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by chrisharcrow, Aug 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not sure that we're talking about the same coral here? Carnations are soft corals :)

Dendronephtya Aquarium.Net Dec 96

2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Careful what you wish for. You just might get it!

GKW, not quite sure what you're referring to. The coral commonly referred to as carnation are not hard corals and have no skeleton.

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up....

i frequent a lfs in my neck of the woods and for some reason they recieved a dendronephtya (white/pink) about six months back. it sat in a frag tank under the coral racks and under metal halide for all that time, staying the same size but healthy. one day the owner decided to move it since no customers had been interested, into their 120 display tank in the front of the store. he mounted the dendro out of direct light but it isn't in a dark hole or overhang. i swear to you over the past three months, the coral has nearly tripled in size....

i asked the owner what he was feeding the tank with and he said nothing. there are a few fish in the tank, a pair of clowns, a watanabe angel, a mandarin and a couple of tangs. he feeds the fish once a day and let's everything else in the tank eat from what's left in the water column, he stated he doesn't even dose phyto to the corals. i kid you not that this tank is filling in and looks very natural. either something is in the water or the guy has a knack for taking care of what would be otherwise, difficult corals to keep. just thought i would share.