Carnation, Ya i'm trying it...

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by tmv8888, May 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tmv8888

tmv8888 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

OK so here's the deal. I bought a carnation coral, which i have herd are extremly difficult to care for, but I've been keeping an established reef for about 2 years now. I have read plenty of articles concerning this coral, and all of them stated that they needed very low light, and quite a bit of flow. The issue is, my nano cube has very high lighting, and very low flow. It also doesn't have any caves or crevices, except in the back where you can't see the thing.

So here's the real question. My FOWLR tank has high flow, and low lighting, with plenty of caves and crevices, and coral friendly fish.The light is a cheap fluorescent, more commonly found on FW tanks, and it stays on about 6-8 hours a day. Would the FOWLR be a better place to stick the carnation? even though it would be the only coral in that tank?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

depend on the parameters of the two tanks id say.

you have to set up some kind of phyto dosing system if you want that coral to live i think

4. tmv8888

Normally i target feed the important corals, and if not, there is always phyto in my tank for the taking. The parameters are nearly identical, but the nano has a nitrate content of about 5ppm. The FOWLR has none. i'm just nervous of putting a coral in a tank with just a cheap fluorescent.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Hey TMV I added an orange carnation a couple of weeks ago and it is doing great--Wide open and very happy, I run it under t-5 lights and reletively high on the reef. I think they gare talking about metal halides being too much. You will probably be fine. My flow is what I would call moderate where this coral is. Just try it and see what happens, it will let you know if it is happy.

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have a Red/Strawberry Carnation I added about 3 weeks ago and it is doing great. It is in my RedSea 130D. I have it placed at the bottom, flow medium. Feeding started with phycopure everyday for a couple weeks, then DT's every other day, and 1 drop of iodine per week. I switch between phycopure and DT's on a 30 day cycle.

I have also read about the Carnation being tough to care for but they are cool.

7. tmv8888

I sound like a total idiot saying this, but what do i feed the thing? normally i just allow my corals to filter feed on things like baby brine, marine snow, or plankton, and that has worked fine thus far. but for a carnation? i'm clueless. What is phycopure btw?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

10. tmv8888

Well, its my second day with the coral. Found a nice mildly shaded moderate flow area for it, and its doing pretty good. seems healthy. I gave the tank a heavy dosage of Kent Microvert, and i'm hoping that will be enough to keep the coral satisfied. Any tips though? as far as feeding goes?

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I didn't even think you needed to feed them. Most soft corals are fine with just light.

12. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

A carnation is Non-photosynthetic. No light needed, just lots of filter food.