carnation coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by wjrg, Aug 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Ok I dug it up and here it goes. This guys system is Nice ! I particularly dig that his tank is an alky ! :eek: I know tangster says stay away from the sauce , but I guess it works here due to such a high nitrate phosphate load. The organic carbon is a working on this bad boy.

Report on a Successful Husbandry Method for a General Azooxanthellate Reef System including Dendronephthya by Charles Matthews - Reefkeeping.com

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

thanks his tank is so colorful it almost looks fake. impressive

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i would not recomend a carnation coral, they dont last long in captivity unless you are extremely experianced and know what your doing, i would go with a yellow leather, very hardy and extremely beautiful!

Matty

6. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

i have had one for about 9 months now. it is at the bottom of my tank with medium water flow under crappy 260w lighting and it has stayed stagnet in growth. i dose it with microvert every 3 days.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not a easy coral to keep I maintained a nice colony for yrs , I did make a special apparatus for it to start out in then as it /they grew in size they moves out of the tune/cave and into the rocks and sand around the mouth of the cave that supplied a constant draft of water all day long to bring them food , I also never applied the sauce never needed it I did not use a deep sand bed I did use a PO4 reactor and a nitrate coil .. But once established they are a beautiful coral and my cave thing also worked even better with the sun corals .. I made it to pull about 100GPH right through their cave/tunnel like a chimney for water and not smoke . Coloney expanded 10x' on its own with no help from me at all other then supplying a good water quality.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

lfs here was trying to sell me one, marketted as a "deep water" coral and requiring very low light but manual feeding. also said to keep a colder tank than 78 degrees

if it's true then good, if not glad i didnt buy it anyway 8)

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Cooler water is not a have to have but I kept mine at 76 to 77 via a chiller I built from a YORK 2ton heat Pump.
    As for light It really matters not they don't require light but won't be harmed by it either. Not a easy coral its one you have to work to have and when I was bed ridden for 3 yrs from Feb 2002 to Jan 2005 I broke the tank down and sold it all off . But my cave idea worked like a charm..Will revisit that idea again .