caribbean live sand won't clear up?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by zackscott20, Jan 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Heres what mine did when i just dumped it in,i didn't want to rinse it being live sand,but never again,lesson learned.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I have the same problem.. that stuff is so annoying. I just set up a 55 and used the caribsea sand and now i have to wipe all the silt off of everything

4. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I just added 40 lbs and mine cleared up within a day... did u use the bio magnet thing?

5. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

this sucks.... i was hoping to see the bottom and see how it looks within a few days... next time ill just buy regular sand... it'd have to be in the summer though, cuz its too old here in the winters ;D

6. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

did you follow the directions? by cutting the bag open inside the tank at the bottom and then releasing it that way? Also did you use the solution that comes in the bag to help clear it up?

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I dont think there is anything 'live' about it, but who know i could be wrong! Its is the super fine sugar sand?

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

I did,the flow just threw it everwhere.

I completely agree,i personally wanted the dead organics to get my cycle going and my sand active as well.Which it did,i had fairly hard cycle without adding anything but dry clean rock at the time.

By far the worst about it was simply just the mess it made.But after that week and the clean up,it's been fine.

10. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

should i turn off my pump?

11. grinder37

turn off all flow when adding and until the sand settles and spread it out mostly where you want it,give it a bit to settle then turn your pumps back on.What is blowing around will be a bunch of silt that just takes some time to get filtered out and cleared up.

12. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

its already in the state where your picture is. except 4 days later