Cardinal Tetras...looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Birdlady, Oct 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Shaking up the freshwater section a bit here! ;D

I just got 6 Cardinal Tetras, and I am in the process of lowering the hardness and ph (haha, I thought 6.8 was low enough!)

;D I will be getting my hands on some plants, and does anyone have any advice on planted tanks (I will be getting low light plants from a local reefer who also does plants) and/ or breeding these adorable fishies? ;D

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

BL,
    If you want the plants to do very well then feed them. :) I had planted discus tanks for about 6 years prior to having my reef tank. If you have a co2 reactor use it on the planted tank and your plants will explode with life. But be cautious as you probably know injecting co2 will have an effect on ph.

I love planted tanks, sometimes I miss it when I see old pictures of it. But when I finish my basement I will be getting another tank maybe a reef or maybe another discus tank.

Sean

P.S
    I too like cardinal tetra's, but it was always very difficult to find good quality specimans.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks! I was going to make a DIY CO2 injector that just used the fermentation process of gas being pushed through an airline tube. This lowers the ph, right? The pH should be about 5.8 according to my research, and they are found in waters as low as 3 or 4 pH, so hopefully not an issue.

When you fed the plants, what did you use? An iron supplement? Or a combo type?n Did you run carbon?

The tetras I just got look good so far , they were special ordered and came with no guarantee. Wild caught also. They weren't eating the flakes, but I got some brine shrimp today and they ate well. Need to see if I can switch them over to prepared food.
    Thanks!!

5. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

BL,
    Actually I meant just feed the plants co2, that's what I did. I occasionally would put in a liquid fertilizer, but honest I don't think it did a thing.
    The co2 did it all.

I've never heard of them being accustomed to 4 ph I would keep it around 5.5 - 6.0 and injecting co2 should help you keep it that low.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The article I read just said they have been found in waters as low as 4....I am shooting for the 5.8 myself ;D

Guess I best get to work on that CO2 then, eh? thanks for the advice! I just picked up some java fern and vals? I forget the actual name but they look like tall thin grass :)

7. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Birdlady,
    Last week we went to a fello reefers house to pick up some live rock. While there we got to see his 75 gal planted Discus tank. It also housed over 50 Cardinals. Amazing to see all that red and blue neon. :2thumbsup Very cool!
    Post some pics when you can.
    Scott

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Will do...I will see if I get get some later today ;D I love the look!

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I kept my discus and cardinal tetra in 7.5 water. There not as picky as most make them out to be. The fermentors work really good but don't over do the CO2. I am going to have to post some pics.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Here is the full tank shot...now don't laugh at the pink castle! After all, it is supposed to be the daughter's tank! LOL! ;D

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

And the fishies.... ;D

[​IMG][/IMG]