Carbon dosing - method testing started

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

$10...woh...stop right there...you spent $10 on vodka for your aquarium...ritzy...mine gets $7 vodka...lairds its called cheapest I could find... smells like rubbing alcohol lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. thebanker

thebanker Astrea Snail

Nice work so far, Steve. Already it appears that tank 2 has the least diatom growth.

4. thebanker

thebanker Astrea Snail

You know, you can open a nice little fish store when you're done with the experiment.

5. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I dont believe Steve has started the reduction methods yet. As of right now, he's encouraging the diatom growth and transferring water/diatoms between tanks to encourage consistant test conditions.

I do agree though, tank 2 looks a little lacking there Steve... ;)

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks both of you
    yes - 4 identical tanks, with identical equipment, set up at same time and water mixed between the 4 on a regular basis, but tank 2 has developed slower than the other 3

none of the competitors are in the game yet
    but I did increase the flow on all 4 tanks
    and last night due to the smell, decided it was time to bring the skimmers into the action
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these skimmers are not very attractive, being HOB but inside
    but for a small set up, up to 20 gallons with a sump, they seem like they are very capable units - 2 of the 4 have already started producing within 12 hours of being set up

Steve

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Wow Steve... lots of work. Really awesome. How long will it all be going? How long till testing starts? Vodka will be immediate, but pellets will take some time.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

Thanks Powerman
    my intentions are to wait until I get decent amounts of cyno and GHA
    once I have those I will start the testing and if I have levels of over 0.3 phosphate and over 20ppm nitrate, thats when I will bring the competitors on line.
    I feel that the above combination, would typically be what might make someone consider carbon dosing etc and would certainly trigger the use of GFO etc
    (although typically in my set ups I run GFO before I have a algae issue on this occasion I wanted to try it out as a method of assisting with curing the problem, rather than as a preventive measure, which is how I believe it should be used)

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Between your skills as a hobbyist and the mind to come up with this experiment I hope you someday put it all together in a book. That would be a big plus for the newcomer in itself.

1 person likes this.
  11. thebanker

thebanker Astrea Snail

Steve, you're doing the entire aquarium community a great service with this test. I'm so excited for the results.

1 person likes this.
  12. steve wright

Hi Nismo

to start with I will be using them in a Aqua Excell Media reactor rated for up to 1300 LPH
    I have an Atman pump with reostat so I can adjust flow in order not to have a spin dryer effect but can at least tumble the top layer
    I may have to rethink this if it does not appear to be working out
    but many people are using similar methods and as long as the top layer of pellets are tumbling I should be good to go
    should not need a large quantity as the tank only holds 12 gallons, thus keeping them moving should not be an issue in the oversized reactor

Steve