Carbon dosing - method testing started

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

looking good Steve! It's a pleasure to be following along on this.

2. Click Here!

3. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Great thread. I cant wait to see the out come and currently have the algae blooms. More Cyano than anything. Cant wait to see what happens.

Subscribed.

4. Kllrfsh

Kllrfsh Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This made me laugh!

Great setup Steve, each day I check in and look forward to seeing the results and discussions in this thread. It's great to see you grabbing the bull by the horns and perfoming this experiment for so many others benefit.

Thanks again.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thank you all very much

I may get a new image up in a day or 2
    the diatom stage is already in process, rocks and sand bed within the 1st week
    and its appearing on the tank walls now also

Steve

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

If you really want algae blooms- place the tanks in front of natural sun light for a week (in a window)- then you'll have what your after.

Tried this, as I was trying to cut down on the power bill, coral loved it, but the tank walls did not. Tons af algae growth in only a few days.

This will also let you see how phosphates, and silica really have an effect on aquarium water.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

That can be arranged

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ohsogrumpy

Ohsogrumpy Astrea Snail

This is gonna be helpful to so many people. This is another reason I love the people here and this forum. Great job

10. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I apologize if I missed this somewhere. Being a bio pellet user I was curious. How will you be treating the bio pellet dosed tank?...ie, canister filter, modified media reactor, bio pellets reactor?

I've been seeing pellet specific reactors coming out recently that are directed at increasing flow throughout the pellet media over typical reactors. I've modified my own based on the reef octopus design. There's another that swirls the pellets via cyclonic motion to keep them literally suspended in water.--YouTube "JNS reactor"

I feel results with pellets will vary not only with manufacturer but method of application as well. These technologies are fairly new and almost lends to debate similar to LED vs. Halides in terms of which is best to use. I doubt your looking to get to technical for this experiment but just throwing it out there. :)

11. PlanB

PlanB Plankton

Awesome thread, Steve. Cant wait to see this experiment take shape. I feel like I'm watching my tank cycle again :-[

12. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

I think it's a good time for high stakes ... $10 on the Vodka tank! :)